1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mysterious Beeping - Seatbelt?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Melmel, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Melmel

Melmel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, driving home in the rain tonight my Prius scared the hell out of me with some loud, continuous beeping after driving for a few minutes, which then increased in volume after a minute or two. In total it probably lasted about four minutes. I couldn't pull over where I was, but when I stopped at a red light, the beeping stopped too and never re-started the rest of the way home.

There was no warning light, it's been recently serviced and had the hybrid system checked. The only thing that changed was the display switched to showing that there was weight in the back seat (my dog). My dog had her seatbelt on, but maybe it was the wrong one for the weight sensor?

Does this sound like a seatbelt thing, with the increased urgency and persistence of beeps? Every other time I've had seatbelt warning it hasn't been that persistent or long-lasting. Seriously, the beeping was far more likely to cause an accident than anything else at this point!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a passenger detection system in my Rav4, whenever there is a person sitting in the back and the seatbelt is not buckled, it will beep like crazy. Only way to stop it is to put the seatbelt on (even if there's a bag of groceries there).

Melmel likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    brake system warning?

4. Melmel

Melmel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Shouldn't that have a warning light of some kind? Or does it not?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not sure, but the audible warning is pretty load and distinct. i have not heard it, but recall reading that others have.
    i don't remember exactly what it sounds like.