1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mystery Button on my v, not V for the Prius v wagon

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by WaterDragon, Oct 14, 2016.

1. WaterDragon

WaterDragon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So I recently purchased a Used 2013 Prius v, not V as only 2010 Prius used an uppercase V for model designation, after my 2012 was totaled.

I just discovered a mystery button mounted right above the break pedal and I have no idea what it does.

Attached are some photos. The device clips onto a purple and green wire and a red and black wire in the harness. It is a simple push button attached to a controller which has a small screw dial with "Min - Max" marked on it. There is a sticker on the back with some numbers but no description on it.

Any ideas on what this could be? I thought maybe it was a nav lock override button, but when I click it with navigation locked at 10 MPH nothing happens.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! no idea, aftermarket alarm maybe?

3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Is that an ODBII plug interface?

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Google Karr alarm, it's a common dealer installed system.

jzchen and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. WaterDragon

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks @xliderider, that appears to be what it is. I didn't get any fobs with the car though, and pushing the valet button doesn't seem to do anything, so maybe they disabled it. Probably for the best as I don't really see the point of most car alarms. The ones that just make noise rely on the kindness of strangers to do something which is just dumb. Systems like lojack or onstar that can do remote disable I can understand, but this doesn't seem to include those kinds of features.

A call into KARR customer support and they confirm this is in fact a KARR alarm system, and it would cost money to re-enable it. I have put a call into the nearest dealership offering KARR to find out what it would cost to get it re-enabled and what it is capable of.

6. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One key feature of the Karr alarm is removing money from your wallet. That's why the Stealership installed it to begin with. When I got my Gen 4 the first thing the salesman offered was a "free" alarm. I asked if it was factory installed. When he said, "No," I declined. Nothing's free at a Stealership.

xliderider and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. WaterDragon

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Apparently it has no value, as calls to dealers who do installs the cost to re-activate have gone un-replied. Looking at what they had to do to the wiring harness to install this thing I am not entirely happy it is there but fear the surgery to remove it. Oh well.