1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

mystery DTC, car starts but wont go into drive or reverse

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by RobRolls, May 28, 2011.

1. RobRolls

RobRolls Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I have a 2005 Prius. 3 weeks ago my dash lit up with warning lights so I took it to the dealer. They ran a diag and came up with
    P3000/123
    P0A80/C2311
    "Vehicle has bad #4 battery block. Neesd HV Battery pack and HV ECU" I had just hit 150,900 miles and they wanted $3910 to fix it.

Given the cost I decided to fix it myself. After tracking down some cells and getting a HV ECU from a local junk yard I pulled out the hv battery broke it down, tested the two cells in the #4 block and replaced the low voltage cell. I then replaced the HV ECU. I put everything back together and everything started up fine and ran great.

things work well for 2 weeks then yesterday as I'm pulling into my driveway the main error indicator (the big red triangle cantaining a !) lit up. Needless to say I was dissapointed. I turned the car off and then turned it back on. At this point most all of the error indicators were lit (see attached image). I get a new error indicator on the multi-information display (the red car with the ! in it, according to the manual I'l supposed to take it the the dealer immediatly) The car started but the engine does not start. The car will not go into drive or reverse, just neutral.

I thought I may not be pressing the brake correctly so I spent some time making sure I was depressing the brake pedal fully when starting up. No change. I checked that hte break lights are working when I press the pedal and they are working correctly. I checked the brake fluid reservoir and it is filled to the correct levels.

A friend bought a innova OBD2 scan tool (his kid's cars break a lot) I borrowed it and hooked it up to my car. No error codes detected was what it told me. I was a bit perplexed. I switched to the Toyota enhanced DTC and then Readiness DTC and finally found some codes:
    P0300
    P0171
    P0172
    P000A

I found what looks to be the 2004 service manual online in an open directory http://zeroreality.net/prius/repair/ (enjoy while you can)
    While I don't find P000A I do see the other 3.

P0300 (05–157)
    Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
    • Open or short in engine wire harness
    • Connector connection
    • Vacuum hose connection
    • Ignition system
    • Injector
    • Fuel pressure
    • Mass air flow meter
    • Engine coolant temperature sensor
    • Compression pressure
    • Valve clearance
    • Valve timing
    • PCV hose connection
    • PCV hose
    • ECM

P0171 (05–143)
    System Too Lean (Bank 1)
    • Air induction system
    • Injector has blockage
    • Mass air flow meter
    • Fuel pressure
    • Gas leakage in exhaust system
    • Open or short in A/F sensor (bank 1 sensor 1) circuit
    • A/F sensor (bank 1 sensor 1)
    • A/F sensor heater (bank 1 sensor 1)
    • EFI M relay (integration relay)
    • PCV valve and hose
    • PCV hose connection
    • ECM

P0172 (05–143)
    System Too Rich (Bank 1)
    • Injector has leakage or blockage
    • Mass air flow meter
    • Ignition system
    • Fuel pressure
    • Gas leakage in exhaust system
    • Open or short in A/F sensor (bank 1 sensor 1) circuit
    • A/F sensor (bank 1 sensor 1)
    • A/F sensor heater (bank 1 sensor 1)
    • EFI M relay (integration relay)
    • ECM

I was hoping for something a bit less vague.

So thats where I am right now. I have the indicator lights as seen in the attached image. The car powers up but the engine does not start. The car will not go into drive or reverse. I don't know the difference between the standard DTC and the readiness DTC

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Some standard procedures that may help are rebooting the 12v, replacing the 12v if determined bad. If charging 12v with car (after you get the engine to run) Be sure to let engine periodically run for at least 8 hours! Ever cleaned the MAF sensor and the air throat intake area? You sound pretty proficient so you may already know these things. It is the12v that allows the engine to start, so that small insignificant battery is pretty important. Good luck. :cheer2:

3. RobRolls

RobRolls Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had assumed (always gets me in trouble) that the 12v battery was good and connected since I had dash and brake lights. Which systems do these functions run on?

I have not cleaned the MAV sensor or the air intake, I know very little about working on these cars. I'll gladly take all the advice I can get.

thank you very much for your assistance.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you say "the car powers up" I think you mean that it will become IG-ON, but it will not become READY. This is why you cannot shift into R or D.

I do not think that the DTC you obtained are particularly helpful, probably because the code reader you are using is missing some codes. P0171 and P0172 contradict each other as you may have also noticed.

There is some possibility that a weak 12V battery may be causing some of the symptoms that you've noted. While the car is IG-OFF, turn on the headlights and see how bright they are. If dim, then start by replacing the 12V battery. When the battery is disconnected the powertrain DTC will be cleared. Then after the new battery is installed, see if the same symptoms come back.

If this doesn't help then I suggest that you tow your car to your local Toyota dealer so that the DTC can be retrieved and a diagnosis provided to you. Good luck.

5. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Pats suggestions are always right on the button. We have had many problems that were associated with the 12V Bat., the aux or 12v on your car may be the original, do you know? Even the dealers cannot get this part right! To be fair I will say some. It sounds like you have a multimeter, critical on any car, especially so on the Prius. You can use the search mode on any area of interest on Priuschat, a good place to start is "the 12v Battery" If you are relatively lazy, like I am, go to Patricks site and read all of his posts.Incidentally, your first post was quite impressive!:cheer2:

1 person likes this.
  6. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The easiest way to insure a good 12V is to just buy a new one. IF: the 12V is bad, one can change every electrical and electronic part in the entire car, and never fix the problem. Keep us informed. Go to my personal message area and tell me where you live, Plus tel # I am in Citrus Hts. I have a few spare batteries.:cheer2

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Replacing the ECU was not necessary.

Please clarify, did you replace the HV ECU (under the dash), or the HV battery ECU (in the back)? If it was the former, I wonder if there is a bad connection between the ECM and HV ECU, i.e. something came unplugged. Also, did you take care of programming the the immobilizer ECU to recognize the replaced HV ECU?

EDIT: P000A [timing slow response bank 1] may be a valid DTC for certain Toyota engines but not, as far as I know, for the Prius. I don't know that any of those codes read by the Innova can be trusted.

9. RobRolls

RobRolls Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To everyone that suggested a look at the 12v battery you may have been on to something. Patrick, the headlights were dim in IG-Off. The voltage is under 12 in IG-On and dropped below 11 under load. Looks like I'll be installing a new 12v battery.

I replaced the HV Battery ECU in the back. I did not program the immobilizer ECU.

I'd have to agree with those of you expressing doubts about the applicability of the DTC. After reading through the manual of the innova it seems the readiness DTC are supposed to be emissions related?! I'm smelling red herring.

10. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Put that battery on a charger at 4 amps or less. After a couple hours, see if it will go into Ready. If not, do the 5 minute negative disconnect and try again. If still not Ready, then you may want to pull the top off the HV battery and check your prior work, and/or find someone with a better code reader. You may also want to put your old battery ECU back in, unless there is something obviously wrong with it.

11. RobRolls

RobRolls Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I put my battery on a 4 amp charge. The charger I have listed the battery charge at 25%. 5 hours later it still never made it past 75% (it's not very granular, 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%). I got tired of waiting and put the 12v battery back in.

I was pretty excited when the car started up and ran normally. Yeah!

Then I was a bit bummed out when the car did the same thing as the first time, sudden errors and then would not go to READY from IG-ON. I figured the battery is toast and I'll be getting a new one tomorrow. I decided to try the Innova for DTC. I found one this time.

P0AA6 - Hybrid Battery Negative Contactor Circuit Stuck Closed.

Unfortunately the innova only gets DTC, no info codes. Looking at some of the previous posts on here regarding this DTC looks like it's most likely I've got something wrong with how I reassembled the HV battery.

I cleared the error and was able to operate the car normally for a few minutes and then it was back to the error. If we assume for a moment that I didn't end up with a wire touching the frame is there a component that would give this DTC?

This DTC is not in my 2004 service guide. I think I read somewhere on this site that it was new to 2005, is anyone aware of an applicable DTC in the 2004 guide?

You've all been a great deal of help. thanks.

12. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd give it 99% that it is in the HV battery ECU area, something is not connected right, became disconnected, etc. The contactors aka system main relays are what joins the HV battery to the rest of the car. I strongly suggest you put your old battery ECU back in, given this DTC.

1 person likes this.
  13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P0AA6 is "Hybrid Battery Voltage System Isolation Fault", not the description that you had written above. That description belongs to DTC P0AA4.

If your DTC really is P0AA4 then check the system main relay which switches the negative side of the traction battery. That relay is probably stuck in the closed position.

If your DTC really is P0AA6 then you have a high voltage ground fault. In that case it would not wise to assume that you don't have a "wire touching the frame."

Any component which is in contact with high voltage may produce this DTC, including the traction battery, the traction battery ECU, the system main relays, the high voltage battery cable which leads from the battery to the inverter, the inverter, and the transaxle.

It would not hurt to replace the 12V battery at this time but I doubt that is producing the DTC that you have recorded.

1 person likes this.
  14. RobRolls

RobRolls Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just telling you what I read in the innova, interesting that it's wrong. I guess there are no guarantees if your not using the correct tester.

So I think I "might" have found an issue, please see the attached images. Just not certain if it's the cause or the symptom.

Looks like I'm buying a new Relay. As I was taking the connections off of the #2 relay I noticed the negative side was not very tight, finger tight at best. As you can see in the pic the #3 pos terminal is damn near welded on. So how plausible does this sound, could I have not tightened up the terminal connections enough and over the course of driving it for a week the loose connection finally cooked the relay?

The rest of the HV battery all looks fine. Could a problem with the 12v have caused this? Could there have been another component that is bad and would have caused this?

Attached Files:

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that the system main relay should be replaced, and hope that is the only problem. A loose wiring connection would result in resistance at that point. Substantial peak current can flow in the traction battery, 100A or more. That current level will quickly produce tremendous heat at the loose connection, which will damage the relay terminal and the wiring.

A weak 12V battery would not have caused that problem. It is also unlikely that another component caused the problem.

1 person likes this.
  16. RobRolls

RobRolls Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It appears that you were correct again Patrick. After putting in the new relay, putting the HV battery back together and giving it a try I end up with a nearly immediate P0AA6.

I disconnected both frame wire connectors from the converter inverter assembly and then tested for a short between the wire and the shielding. The uncooked wire showed open, the cooked wire has almost no resistance. Looks like I melted the insulation enough that the shield is now contacting the wire. I hate it when I cause my own issues.

Anyone got any tips on doing a frame wire replacement?

1 person likes this.
  17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't have any tips except to suggest that you obtain Toyota repair manual info at techinfo.toyota.com if you haven't already done so.

18. RobRolls

RobRolls Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless I'm missing something the wire leading from the main relay #3 is a portion of the frame wire. The top down image I attached in post #14 shows the wire (the one one the left specifically) and terminal I'm talking about. My test was removing both of those wires from their posts and then disconnecting both wires from the inverter. At the traction battery end, with the wire disconnected at both sides, I place one lead on the eyelet and the other on the crimped shielding. The good wire is open, the bad wire is short.

As far as I can tell those wires are one assembly and run all the way to the inverter. WIRING & CLAMP. Fits: Prius | Village Toyota Parts is that not the case?

Looking over the steps involved in replacing it in the service manual, I'm very open to suggestions.

1 person likes this.
  19. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are correct. Although the frame wire is relatively expensive, at least it was easy for you to find the problem. Glad that the root cause was not a ground fault in the inverter or transaxle.

1 person likes this.
  20. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Try some of the Prius specialty junkyards. They might give you only the part that you need, rather than the entire assembly. adoptapart.com, autobeyours.com, xvipers.com

1 person likes this.