1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mystery electronic chriping noise - 02 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mattleb, Apr 18, 2006.

1. mattleb

mattleb Junior Member

I just purchased a 2002 Prius with 57,000 miles on it. After adding a new set of tires we went on a 3000+ mile road trip.

The one issue that I have noticed with the car is a random electronic "chrip" sound that comes from somewhere in the front of the car. It is very light, seems almost completely random, and doesn't occur very often. No warning lights are on and the car seems to be driving fine (averaging around 45-47 mpg with mostly freeway driving).

It seems to occur most often after driving for an hour or more and in the 60-70 mph range, but I have had it happen at other times as well. I have tried everything I can think of to narrow down the issue (Stereo on/off, different volume levels, ventilation system at various settings, cruise control on/off, set/not set, etc... etc...) Nothing seems to narrow it down.

The service manager at our local Toyota dealership couldn't think a cause and I can't give him enough information to reproduce it. He said that the computer would not have any codes unless the "check engine" light was on so no sense in checking it.

Has anybody had a similar issue? It's quiet enough to be just barely under the threshold of annoying. If I know that the car will keep driving without dying on me I can live with it though.

Any thoughts?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    anything show up on the screen when it beeps? it may be a message of some kind- or something- i'm not familiar enough with the 02's to know for sure.

3. wwu123

wwu123 Junior Member

I have an '02 Prius, and maybe once in a blue moon I'll get a seemingly random electronic chirp. Mine at least I believe came from rare datagrams from the fairly unused RDS feature of the radio. Perhaps there was an accompanying popup message, but I never noticed any, so the only sign might be a MSG indicator on the touchscreen. Pathetically, I'd push the nonobvious MSG button to excitedly see what sort of traffic or other message the radio station might be sending me, and it'd either say there was no message or something lame, like "KFOG - you station for classic rock" or something ;-)

4. mattleb

mattleb Junior Member

Nope - nothing. I've tried switching the display from "Energy" to "Consumption" and seeing if the chirps correspond to anything on the display with no luck.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 18 2006, 10:33 AM) [snapback]241562[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wwu123 @ Apr 19 2006, 06:16 PM) [snapback]242395[/snapback]</div>
    This sounds familiar but I don't think the two correspond. I'll keep an eye peeled though (or ear?)