1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mystery Mirror

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by nylion, Jul 29, 2006.

1. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am finally getting my Prius. Been waiting since May. It needs dealer prep to finish before I can pick it up on Monday. Being a big kid, I went to check it out on the dealer's lot tonight while it was still light. When I looked through the windshield near the vin (but behind it where the display is), there was what at first looked like a rectangular crt about 1/2" wide by about 3" long. On closer inspection, it seems to be a mirror. This mirror would not be visible to the driver. You can only see it from outside when looking directly down at that area of the dash. My car is a package 8 and there were two other Priuses on the lot (one a package 5 and the other a no-package model). Both had the same mirror.

I'm stumped on what it could be. Anyone know?

Thanks,
    Bob

2. marjam

marjam Member

You found out the secret! When sitting in the driver's seat what you see as the speedo, fuel gauge, etc is a reflection! The display is buried in the dash and shines up on a mirror. Through the windshile you are really seeing the display, not the mirror. That why the sun shining on the "display" doesn't affect it as much since it is really only shining on a mirror. Pretty neat, huh! (Took me three months to discover this! :( !)

3. wstander

wstander New Member

The speedometer and odometer data uses this mirror to reflect to the screen.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That isn't a mirror. It's the actual speedometer down in the dashboard, hidden from view of the driver but visible looking down from outside.

What you see when you are driving is really just a reflection.

The reason for that is to create a tunnel effect. Increasing the visual distance completely eliminates glare, which all the traditional digital readouts suffered from. But with Prius, you get an impressive improvement... thanks to a mirror, but not in the location you think.

The actual mirror is what you look at.

5. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is really cool! I am very impressed. All this time I thought it was just a digital display behind some plastic near the windshield. Amazing. Thanks for the information.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know John, what he saw might still be another mirror... at least, according to this diagram

[attachmentid=4292]

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And since the apparent distance of the display is further away, it is easier to refocus your eyes from the outside environment to the virtual display, rather than having to refocus on a close display like in an old technology car. This is important the older you get . . . and since the Prius will last a long time . . . . your future old-fart self will be happy with this display too. :D

8. marjam

marjam Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 30 2006, 02:40 AM) [snapback]294526[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, it's even cooler than I thought! Thanks Does throw some glare on the winshild at night, though, unless you turn the intensity down.

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 30 2006, 01:40 AM) [snapback]294526[/snapback]</div>
    There are multiple reflection points. But I didn't want to go there without an illustration available. It's a very old technique used for increasing focal-length in tight spaces, like a compact telescope.

10. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    It's like a heads up display in a fighter jet!! B)

11. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 30 2006, 02:40 AM) [snapback]294526[/snapback]</div>

What I saw is the bottom mirror in the diagram. It would be the only object visible if looking straight down from outside. Also, it was reflecting sky so it was almost certainly the horizontal mirror.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Jul 30 2006, 05:13 AM) [snapback]294562[/snapback]</div>
    Well feel free to use the diagram now :). I got this off PC a long time ago. I forgot who the poster was, sorry.

13. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjam @ Jul 30 2006, 03:26 AM) [snapback]294552[/snapback]</div>
    There's another solution to the glare. You put a piece of black material (like felt) along the edge of the opening closest to the driver. It doesn't have to be big, about 1/2", and you put it in place with double sticky tape. That makes the opening itself smaller and the glare is blocked.

14. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I was going to ask this in a separate thread, but this seems a good place. I took delivery of my Prius on Saturday. It's a Black 2004 model that was delivered originally in August 04. So it's two years old and has 15k miles on it. It's very, very clean (hasn't even been delivery detailed yet -- I get to take it back for that next week). One contrast to the overall cleanliness of the car is this display. Compared to new cars, it's pretty gunky. Especially at night, you can see all sorts of dust and spots between the display and the mirrors and plastic pieces. I was going to have the dealer attend to this, if possible, in the detailing. Is this a common Prius display issue? Is it an easy "self help" item? Booby traps and landmines I should know about? TIA for any input. :)

15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mirror, mirror on the dash...how did you get the display to read 188 kmh? Mine won't go that high!