1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mystery noise, rear seat

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Robert Fisher, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Robert Fisher

Robert Fisher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My first attempt to Post was a failure. I posted in a wrong group. My thanks to Member No.: 14,146 for suggesting I re-post.

QUOTE(fish @ Feb 15 2007, 04:51 PM)

I am a newbie with a 2007 #6 Prius that has started to emit a whisle sound above 50 MPH from the back seat area. The dealer told me it was coming from my rear licence plate. I checked, tightened and no change. Anyone had this sound in their vehicle?

Senior Prius Poster

Group: Members
    Member No.: 14,146
    My Car: 2006 Prius
    Package: #3
    You might want to create a new topic for your question, instead of using an unrelated topic.

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    No direct experience with this, but check the rear door seals. Both visually and by ear (using a rear seat passenger on the road).

3. Springtime

Springtime Member

I actually had the exact same sound (in 1994) above 50 miles per hour in my 1994 Tercel - except it seemed to come from the dash board area. I actually took a tape recorder in the car with me to record the sound and play it back to the tech.

It took him about an hour of driving to duplicate the sound (and figure out exactly where the sound was coming from) and 8 hours to locate and fix the problem. It was a bad seal on the windshield that caused the problem. They had to replace the seal.

So, it is probably your windshield or one of the windows that has a bad seal.

Hope this helps.

Springtime

4. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's the sound of the lead hamster falling off the treadmill.

5. kinghuang

kinghuang Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lenjack @ Feb 16 2007, 04:06 PM) [snapback]391762[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you don't mind looking weird for a while, use that easily removable blue painter's tape and cover all the door cracks and all around the hatch with it. If the sound goes away, it's a wind noise. Start taking off the tape a door at a time and testing. You'll be able to identify where the seal is bad which will speed up getting it fixed at the dealer. Or just drive around with blue tape...