1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

mystery of broken tail light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by barbaram, Jan 8, 2007.

1. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I discovered on saturday that my driver's side tail light was broken. only the bottom quadrant, no damage to the interior.
    weird thing is that there is NO OTHER damage to the car! So I know it was not any kind of accident.
    any chance it might be due to mfg. defect?
    Any chance the extended warranty will cover this?
    any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. nicoss

nicoss New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(barbaram @ Jan 7 2007, 11:54 PM) [snapback]372376[/snapback]</div>
    No & No.

Most probably happened at a parking lot; someone with a track or SUV was getting in or out and the bumper hit the taillight. A quick trip to the dealer will tell the $$$ story.

3. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yup, I agree with the simplest explanation. You were bumped by a higher vehicle. At least the driver stopped before crunching metal.

The chances of it being a manufacturing defect? You have a better chance of winning the state lottery and getting hit by a meteorite on your way to pick up your winnings...

4. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nicos @ Jan 8 2007, 10:25 AM) [snapback]372454[/snapback]</div>
    Looks like $181 list, $145 discounted for the housing, 2006 parts (probably identical for 2007).

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...amp;catalogid=2

- Tom

5. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Jan 8 2007, 11:53 AM) [snapback]372490[/snapback]</div>
    I agree... sounds like hit & run. Looks like you are in the same boat as I was this past summer (only mine involved removal of paint, same corner of the car) - the note must have blown off the windshield before you came back. :angry: I ended up fixing it with touch-up paint, and is barely noticeable unless you are looking directly at it. <_<

Sorry to hear about the damage. :(

6. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    well, it happened when that side was parked against the curb, so it was some low life swinging some object around..... :angry:
    found some one to replace it for a reasonable amount, the dealer wants $210 for the part so I am shopping around for that.....ps the dealer's attitude- "it's plastic, it's bound to break...." maybe Toyota needs to redesign it.

7. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(barbaram @ Jan 8 2007, 08:02 PM) [snapback]372796[/snapback]</div>
    See the link in my message above. If you only need the plastic lens, Hoy-Fox will sell it for $145 plus $10 - $20 shipping. I've bought a couple of parts from them and have been very satisfied with their service.

- Tom

8. allargon

allargon Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Jan 8 2007, 11:50 AM) [snapback]372522[/snapback]</div>
    I've actually replaced my left taillight lense cover. Ping me in private if you want. (I backed into my garbage can like a 'tard.) I didn't dent my bumper unlike quite a few folks around the Austin area. It's not that hard to do replace the cover yourself (vs. paying $100 to a dealer).

That sucks that someone did that though! :angry:

9. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(allargon @ Jan 8 2007, 11:16 PM) [snapback]372890[/snapback]</div>
    Yep... but alas that is life. <_<

At least the bumper cover was not cracked and it was ONLY paint damage. I had considered getting it painted properly (since the car was only 3 months old), but I ended up doing the more 'economical' route and using touch up paint. I'll just wait until the next moron hits my parked car (it happened 3 times times in first two years of owning my last car!) and I'll get it fixed properly then - on their dime.

Or did that sound too cynical? :ph34r:

EDIT: I just realized that my message was probably quoted in error as upon second read allargon's message was directed to the OP... ah well...

10. MB05Prius

MB05Prius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(allargon @ Jan 8 2007, 11:16 PM) [snapback]372890[/snapback]</div>

Oh man I just did the same thing today! Actually I was just rolling my garbage can in from the curb when I heard a pop and saw the lower part of the driver's rear taillight cover broke! No damage to the interior of the light housing or bulb so all I need is a replacement cover. Where did you get the replacement cover? I'm ambitious enough to try to replace it myself as long as I have some instructions to follow. I'm having a problem finding them online...

11. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I found a couple places on line but Called Metro Toyota since they help us with the group buys and some of the items in the shop.
    Jesse gave me a good price (not the lowest) but I want to support their efforts here, so I gave him the order.