1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mystery red wire from hatch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lazerr, Jan 1, 2023.

1. Lazerr

Lazerr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Hi all:

I had a problem with water causing the red triangle. I fixed it by sealing the rubber boot from body to hatch that has wires in it. Problem is, I accidently pulled a red wire loose and I don't know where it goes.

Seems that it might be a ground wire. It is red and light gauge, and runs under the headliner. I see a shiny body bolt that the wire does reach, but I want to verify that it is a ground wire before I connect it. All lights and door switches on the hatch seem to work but it was raining so I stopped. I'm going out tomorrow morning with the tester. Anyone had this before?

Attached Files:

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I question whether that is OEM wiring. I have a complete 2007 headliner harness and hatch harness and all the red wires are actually grouped with a white and a blue wire, with tape wraps every handful of inches.

I don't think you will ever see a red wire used as a ground on a car 12v system. At least not by an OEM.

SFO likes this.
  3. Lazerr

Lazerr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I had doubts myself that this is OEM as I’ve also never seen a red wire as ground. The light gauge indicated a signal wire of some sort but everything seems to be working. It clearly leads into the hatch itself through the rubber boot, so I’ll need to take off the panels and follow it. The car was in an accident 10 years ago, and the hatch was replaced, so maybe the body shop ran the red wire to something. I’ll port back what I find

4. Lazerr

Lazerr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I still can't find out why a thin, single strand wire, light gauge (22 maybe), would be a ground. I found that the only thing not working in the hatch is the rear window defogger. I'm trying to find where it goes on the still connected end, but haven't been able to see. I suppose I could have a fuse blown. I'm thinking of checking fuses and then just connect to ground. It the fuse doesn't blow I suppose I'll have it.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If this was an accident repair, and considering there is a hinge bolt missing in your photo, maybe they did some sketchy stuff to make it work. The bad part about repairs....you just never know.

6. Lazerr

Lazerr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks for the feedback. It was the ground for the defroster. When I looked closely to the disconnected end I see that it had very faded black marker for about an inch, my guess is this was the repair persons way of designating black.. !

SO, I'm going to get a proper color wire of proper gauge, and replace it. I'm also going to check the positive wire.

BTW, my leaks are now fixed and everything is dry. The big leak was the cable conduit boot from body to the hatch. Honestly looks like it has been leaking for years and flowing all the way to the 12 volt battery compartment that was full of rusty water!

Still love this car. Had it since new in 2007/

7. Lazerr

Lazerr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE

Thanks for telling me about the hinge bolt being missing! I did not notice that.. I suppose I need to replace it if possible and seal that up as well..

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's not where the majority of leaks happen on this car.

Check in the 12 volt battery well in the trunk its probably sitting in water and under the spare tire you will find water. Its from the very very common cracks in the body where the roof meets the rear quarter panel in the hatch valley.

Hundreds of posts about it in the SEARCH FORUMS LINK:

https://priuschat.com/search/391533158/?q=cabin+water+leak&t=post&o=relevance

: