1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Myth: there is a shortage of math and science in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JackDodge, Nov 1, 2007.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/conte...htm?chan=search

You've probably heard this erroneous assumption many times before. That the U.S. is way behind the rest of the world in producing math and science students, that we're getting dumber by the day. However, the real story seems to be the opposite:

"Salzman and Lowell found the reverse was true. Their report shows U.S. student performance has steadily improved over time in math, science, and reading. It also found enrollment in math and science courses is actually up. For example, in 1982 high school graduates earned 2.6 math credits and 2.2 science credits on average. By 1998, the average number of credits increased to 3.5 math and 3.2 science credits. The percent of students taking chemistry increased from 45% in 1990 to 55% in 1996 and 60% in 2004. Scores in national tests such as the National Assessment of Educational Progress, the SAT, and the ACT have also shown increases in math scores over the past two decades."

Why do so many believe otherwise?

"Why the sharp discrepancy? Salzman says that reports citing low U.S. international rankings often misinterpret the data. Review of the international rankings, which he says are all based on one of two tests, the Trends in International Mathematics & Science Study (TIMMS) or the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA), show the U.S. is in a second-ranked group, not trailing the leading economies of the world as is commonly reported. In fact, the few countries that place higher than the U.S. are generally small nations, and few of these rank consistently high across all grades, subjects, and years tested. Moreover, he says, serious methodological flaws, such as different test populations, and other limitations preclude drawing any meaningful comparison of school systems between countries."

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Nov 1 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]533476[/snapback]</div>
    Yea, but Salzman is wrong. It turns out he made a sign error in the arithmetic when totaling the study results. :rolleyes:

Tom

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    omg...

you are comparing students in the 80's????...by then, we had already gone thru YEARS of decline. check stats compared with the mid 60's.... i think a completely different story will emerge

4. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Those were just a couple of paragraphs. You might find it enlightening to read the entire article. I wonder why America so wants to believe that it's getting dumber, even when there's evidence to the contrary. I put the link to the article for a reason. Perhaps I should have kept quotes out of the post to get people to actually read something. :rolleyes:

5. madler

madler Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd say that if Microsoft is claiming that they can't get enough good programmers, their software alone is evidence that weighs heavily in their favor in this argument.

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i read the article and its spin didnt do a thing for me

7. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As a former math teacher, I believe the big problem lies in elementary schools where teachers are very negative about math and pass that "can't do it" attitude along to their students. I've taught content and math methods for elementary teachers and found abyssmal skills and negative attitudes among these fledgling teachers. Parents who tell their children "I couldn't ever do math either" and students who keep asking "when am I ever going to need to know this?" are also perpetuating the belief that math is too difficult for most people. I'm proud that my 3 grandchildren think math is cool (my son was a math/physics major in college). Talking algebra with my oldest grandson is a blast!

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    yep its one positive study about the american education system in a sea of negative reports.

i work in a job where i see a constant flow of young people trying to work in the real world without basic tools. their level of grammar, math, reasoning skills, etc is appalling. the job is not technically challenging but does require some computer skills, a little math, etc. and the job pays based on how efficiently one performs the job.

our turnover rate is running at about 120% annually simply because they get frustrated because they are not making money simply because they have to constantly ask for help understanding very very basic math concepts. heck its cellphone bills, how complicated can the math possibly be?

say what you want about the study, i think its nothing but a BS... i love the line that we have graduated 450,000 americans AND OTHERS WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCY into the engineering fields... bet ya less than half have completely american roots.

9. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think the biggest reason is the "geek" factor. Kids want respect.

In this country go ask a bunch of students who their "hero" is. Some sports star is common.

Then I read that in Vietnam, Bill Gates once visited a school and was swarmed by the schoolkids like he was a rock star...

10. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Nov 1 2007, 03:56 PM) [snapback]533594[/snapback]</div>
    Our generation kinda lost the aspect of a "safety net" when it comes to funds. I had to teach my parents about it... still working on it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n8kwx @ Nov 1 2007, 04:03 PM) [snapback]533597[/snapback]</div>
    Bingo. I know a fair amount of people who work off this aspect. Hollywood will always be around ;)

Most people my age (23) feel we need to do something to help improve this world. It used to be called quality (Rome?). My buddies and I feel it's good karma. In everything you build, work for, or alter; make it the best it can be to last the longest it can. Re organize things.. companies.. cities. mass trans portation. it's the best for the world as a whole.

It makes me wonder if we'll ever put this planet back together. Our systems thrive off of falling apart, or selling crap (cheap entertainment) at a low enough price to kill the economy. then you have "credit" which is crap.

Let's build colleseums again. we'll have huge spas too.

11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid @ Nov 1 2007, 04:28 PM) [snapback]533609[/snapback]</div>
    A lot of students on my campus feel the same. Now getting them mobilized to actually do something is another story. lol

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    there's a bidirectional reaction to science that i see on a regular basis.

it's either to be feared- "regular people" don't understand it (and yes, these are my words, but describing the attitude i see from non-scientists)
    or
    it's to be respected- scientists are trusted members of society almost as much as doctors.

one thing that we scientists should try to do more of is to get our work out there by talking to non-scientists. we have this stereotype as being elitist and only hanging out with our own type... i could go into the reasons behind that another time... but i will admit that i have tried (and in the early to mid stages, done a crappy job of) talking to non-scientists about my work.

the thing is, people assume from the start that they do not/will not understand. someone asks me what i do and i say i study how 'teenage' brains respond to pot differently than adults. and let me tell you, half the time or better, i get something along the lines of "oh wow, that's cool but so far over my head, good luck with that" and the subject is quickly changed.

i'm happy to explain in layman's terms what i do and how i do it if asked. but so many people seem really intimidated when i say that i do any kind of scientific work, that i'm curious how we're doing so well in science education.

13. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The major cohort of math and science teachers at the high school and university level is about to retire. We have the majority of our students who struggle with math coupled with hiring and retaining a new large group of teachers.

Even with entrance examinations, many community college students in California must take remedial math (6 weeks of addition, 6 weeks of substraction, 6 weeks of multiplication and then 6 weeks of division). Math is the language of science and even students who have completed math analysis courses struggle to apply what they have supposedly learned.

Read the Earth is Flat 2.0. We are not competing with those in the next town. We are competing with focused students from Europe, China and India. The US is severely handicapped when it comes to math and science.

14. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have an aptitude and an interest in math and science, but I was severely discouraged in high school by a terrible math teacher. She taught out of the book with not a hint of practical use, and I always had the feeling that her own abilities were maybe one or two lessons ahead of mine.

Now I use algebra, geometry, and trig in my daily work... as an artist. I'd even have use for some calculus once in a while, if I had retained enough of it in my brain to actually be able to use it still :rolleyes:

I for one will be raising my children with a love of math, and an understanding of its usefulness. There are a lot of problems to which "think global, act local" can be applied, and this is a prime example. If you feel that your culture is weighted against math and science, do your best to put out a positive image and change the culture a little bit.

Video games and 3D animated movies take quite a lot of science and math to be realized, and there are plenty other examples of cool stuff being done with math and science.

Bush is doing his part too, right? I mean sending people to Mars will be pretty cool! :rolleyes:

15. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Nov 1 2007, 03:40 PM) [snapback]533519[/snapback]</div>
    I think you're exactly right. When the teacher must scale a test to get students to pass what is really going on? The standards are being lowered. Either the teacher doesn't know how to get the information across, or the teacher is too busy with discipline and has no time left to teach the kids who really want to learn.

SAT scores in the mid 400's were considered adequate for college when my kids graduated (late 80's). In the 60's that wouldn't get you past the front door.

I can only comment on the public school system since that is what I have experience with. I'm not too impressed with it. A major overhall is needed. Just my 2 cents.

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    in Wa State the imfamous WASL tests that all seniors must pass to graduate... well, ok, the INTENTION was to require all students to pass the tests. that requirement keeps getting pushed back because too few students can pass all the components of the tests which have been required for years.

only after teachers started teaching the tests did pass rates increase to the 70% levels. before that... well, we dont talk about that (just too embarrassing). its my prediction that the law requiring students to pass the tests before graduating will kinda just fade off into the distance

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    in Wa State the imfamous WASL tests that all seniors must pass to graduate... well, ok, the INTENTION was to require all students to pass the tests. that requirement keeps getting pushed back because too few students can pass all the components of the tests which have been required for years.

only after teachers started teaching the tests did pass rates increase to the 70% levels. before that... well, we dont talk about that (just too embarrassing). its my prediction that the law requiring students to pass the tests before graduating will kinda just fade off into the distance

18. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Nov 1 2007, 09:36 PM) [snapback]533679[/snapback]</div>
    could you say your last double post was your opinion squared?

19. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Nov 2 2007, 11:31 AM) [snapback]533883[/snapback]</div>
    No because one squared = one, right?

20. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Neicy @ Nov 2 2007, 01:59 PM) [snapback]533989[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, and X to the zero is one as well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Grandma Judy @ Nov 1 2007, 06:04 PM) [snapback]533584[/snapback]</div>
    I think you're right, Judy. I didn't get a teacher who had any joy in math, it was drudgery to them so they passed that drudgery on to us. They also don't teach what algebra can really do for you. It's also a lot of work, you can't b.s. your way to an "A" so to speak. Perhaps indolence plays a factor in it too. I wish I'd had you as my teacher back in K-12.