1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mythbusters and "Fuel Saving Gimmicks"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Rokeby, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    FWIW, on TV RIGHT NOW -- in Ballamer anyway.

2. dr_d12

dr_d12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After you "Bubble wrap " your car make sure you fashion a nice tinfoil hat to keep the voices out. What voices you say, why the ones who told you to "Bubble wrap" your car in the first place!

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That episode has been on a few times. I did find a few things interesting

The two test cars, an early 80's Monte Carlo V8 and a early 90's 4 cylinder Camry, got within 2 mpg of the same fuel economy.

Although I don't believe in "HHO" generators to help fuel economy, they didn't test their properly. They actually tried to run the car on hydrogen, when the whole point of those schlocky gadgets is to add trace amounts of H2 to the induction system, while the motor still runs on gasoline

It was funny when they actually did get a cylinder of H2, ran the Monte Carlo motor on it, and then had that BIG backfire. Looked like Adam just about pooped himself when it went BANG! and the flame gushed out the top of the carb

5. dr_d12

dr_d12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

It should be easy to disprove their claimed improvement in mileage (20% I think?), I was hoping mythbusters had tested it. I'd test it, as long as it only cost me as much as said tinfoil hat.