1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"N" Mode and Glide

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by gazz, Mar 18, 2007.

1. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have read a lot on P&G but was wondering how the "N" mode compares to the glide. I do not like taking my current car out of gear and putting it into natural but I can get massive improvements. Does the "N" do the same a gliding on very light throttle?

By the way had a Prius on test for 5 days and love it, now have one on order so cannot try this out yet.

2. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gazz @ Mar 18 2007, 04:32 AM) [snapback]407823[/snapback]</div>
    Search for this topic as it has been discussed previously. However, for the Prius in particular, Neutral is not the same as Glide. Neutral prevents any regenerative charging, even if the IC engine is running; whereas, gliding keeps the system engaged. As a rule, do not use N.

In a regular car, the rules about not being in Neutral are outdated and were based on runaway cars and brake failures. If you know what you are doing, and understand all of the implications of being in neutral - then there is no technical reason why you can't put your car in neutral - And yes, you will improve your gas mileage in that way.

3. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 18 2007, 07:41 AM) [snapback]407825[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for that, I have tried to track down what happens in neutral at speed but cannot find it, There is no regen so no drag? but what is the ICE doing?

4. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The engine's either idling or off. It's providing no motive force or drag though, because MG1 is freewheeling, so it's got nothing to push against.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, what KMO said. I have used [N] in winter months when the ICE refuses to turn off. When coasting at speed, I receive a good mileage number. But as I slow, my mileage drops because the ICE is idling and my speed is falling.

And John's right about the regen. Again, using [N] to simulate a glide, I always try to slip back into [P] when I'm approaching a stop. Basically, recharging the battery on a speed-decrease situation is free energy, plain and simple. Keeping the car in [N] and applying the friction brakes is just silly.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    With my NHW11 03 Prius, I've found that using "N" for glide is effective for the initial MPG. Even going down a gentle slope, "N" give higher MPG than "D." Once the ICE warms up, this effect disappears.

Bob Wilson

7. briantompo

briantompo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "Does the "N" do the same a gliding on very light throttle?"
    Gazz,
    Nope, not for me...using very light throttle on the highway with MFD showing only yellow arrows from battery to wheels (warp stealth) I get about 130-160 mpg as speed slowly decreases for 1/2 mile. Same conditions except shift to "N" and mileage shows 270-300 mpg. In both cases the engine idles around 1000 RPM and fuel consumption is .2 gal/hr.

If you warp stealth in "D" there's a sweet spot in the pedal that yields the same 270-300 mileage as "N". After 20K miles in a '05 I still can't maintain that spot for more than a second. I can find "N" every time.

I have read on this forum that prolonged coasting in "N" is not advised due to lubrication issues. We'll see...

Brian

8. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(briantompo @ Mar 25 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]411745[/snapback]</div>
    I believe your mpg number is from Scangauge.
    My bet is Scangauge does not show correct mpg number on such conditions.

Ken@Japan

9. briantompo

briantompo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

10. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While I agree with John's point about rules about not being in Neutral being outdated, I will just point out that in many (or all) of the US states, it is illegal to drive in neutral. I don't know what the rules are in the UK.

11. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Mar 26 2007, 12:15 PM) [snapback]412368[/snapback]</div>
    Check your state code but the prohibition is usually for a down grade. It would be legal on a flat or upgrade. Of course speeding is also illegal.

Bob Wilson