1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

n00b

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Bruno82, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Bruno82

Bruno82 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings,

I just found this forum! I'm hoping to learn more about the Prius. I've sat in a couple and drool over them on the road. Do many people pack two kids in the back? Is it a comfortable fit?

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard Bruno! Yes, we have two boys that fit nicely in the back. Haven't taken a really long trip as of yet but with video, I don't think we would have much of a problem. :)

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome, Bruno. :)

Plenty of room in the back for adults so kids are an easy fit. At 6' 3" I fit comfortably in the rear seats but if I really stretch then my head does touch the roof while leaning back. I have a 2nd Gen though and they are a bit smaller.

That being said, these cars have amazing cargo capacity and one can even fit a twin-sized mattress in the rear when the seats are folded down. Makes for a great camping vehicle!

4. Bruno82

Bruno82 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Outstanding. I want a Prius soooo bad, but finding a good used one at a reasonable price is a daunting task for me. Also, do many people change their own oil and/or do any of the routine maintenance? I currently drive an F-150 and change my own oil and do some of the routine maintenance.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can do all the usual maintenance stuff like oil, transaxle fluid, spark plugs, PCV, air filter etc.. It's like any other car. Some do their own work and others pay to have it done. Thankfully it's all pretty simple.

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Like F8L said, it is all pretty straight forward, though you will likely need ramps for the oil change. Not like the Ford which you can just slide under. :)

I have done my own maintenance since new.

7. Bruno82

Bruno82 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great! I have some ramps as my wife used to have a Honda Accord. Are the recommended oil, filters, etc easy and reasonable price-wise to come by?

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You can get everything you need for an oil change at typical prices at any auto parts, walmart, etc. I do my own and it's straight forward process. 0w-20 mobil 1 syn+filter is about $25 and the interval is 10k miles on the 2010+ models.

I have two kids (12&10) and they fit fine. Three would not be comfortable for anything longer than across town.