1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Name That Sound!?! Please

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rjordan, May 17, 2016.

1. rjordan

rjordan New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello All -

A person locally is selling his 07 Prius and he's had a couple different mechanics tell him different things on the noise, what's wrong with it. One mechanic has mentioned the intake manifold, another this, etc....

He's selling the car dirt cheap and other than noise the body and interior is in great shape.

It sounds like it has a bad knock or (tick, tick, tick) from the video but could this also be a bad fuel injector making this noise, a valve?

If I knew for sure it was a fuel injector or so I would buy the car otherwise it needs an engine overhaul / swap

I can't put a link to the dropbox link for the video unless I have posted 4 messages prior to this one, please message me and I can provide you the link otherwise I have no way to post this video

Thank you in advance - Ryan

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    An used engine is fairly inexpensive. So if the car is dirt cheap, just put in a new(er) engine and it'll still be cheap.....just not dirt cheap

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its probably got a run oil dry blown motor. Knocking engine from blown piston rod. Stand back lol...Those are non stop here lately.

I don't know about you but the thought of having to replace a car engine is daunting. Have to locate it. Pay for it. Have it shipped in. Lots of Extra parts. Find a mechanic who's willing to replace the motor. Which is rare. Logistics out the wazoo.
    And no matter what the motor seller says the warranty is useless on a used motor. You still have to pay to have the bad used motor pulled out then pay to have another used motor installed. No thanks. Plenty of reasonably priced used Prius out there. Unless you think your stealing it.
    Lots of posters here with a car they stole at auction....that's become a gremlin infested nightmare.