1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Names

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bob Allen, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    We've been here before, but I'm curious anyway. How many of you have named your Prius? I've always named my cars, but some of my techie friends give me a bad time about it; others love it. I think the Prius is the kind of character car, like the VW Beetle, that almost demands a name.
    HUMU

2. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

I named my car. See Sig.
    :)

3. flyingprius

flyingprius New Member

I named her Shania!

My family has a name for all of our cars. The A4 is "Hans", because he's atheltic, sexy and German.
    The 9-5 is "Svetlana"; it was the only Swedish name my stepdad could think of (I don't even think it's Swedish)
    Our Forester is Aunt Frank... haha
    Having a boring day? Name your car! It's fun
    Flyingprius
    :D

4. techogurl

techogurl New Member

I've never been the naming type for anything I own... but I think I've decided to call my car Elektra when she arrives.

5. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2005 is named "J MUIR" (John Muir) and has a California personalized license plate.

Other than being a Prius, I get lots of comments because John Muir is on the California quarter, is the most popular Californian ever and lived 1838 to 1914 - so how can he being driving a car in 2004 any way!?

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    per my signature, I have named mine Priapus. According to greek mythology, Priapus was born the son of Aphrodite and Dionysus (or some say Hermes or even Zeus). Originally, I heard this name for a car because of a hoax posting about the Toyota Volta being available for commercial production (Click Here). But I liked the name and though I'd studied mythology in college, had forgotten about the god until then.

There are a few reasons I chose this name. When I tell others the name, the reason they like it depends on their level of understanding.

1) Priapus is a clever adaptation of Prius.
    Those who do not know mythology think it's clever.

2) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and Priapus was certainly not a very attractive god, but many worshipped him nonetheless.
    Many think the Prius is an ugly car or at the least, very different looking.

3) Priapus is the guardian god of gardens and forests.
    The ultra-high efficiency of the Prius helps protect forests.

4) Priapus is best known for his abnormal, grotesquely enlarged phallis which, once erect, never subsided.
    I can purchase a car with wimpy acceleration, a 2-cylinder engine, and lovingly referred to as a "geek mobile" because unlike other macho men in their mid thirties, I am not concerned with the size of my hoo-hoo-dilly.

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I named most of my cars. A rather undistinguished Maxima had only various names. My Prius is Belle because my previous car, which I still have, a Ford Exploror is The Beast. I don't know how that name arrived I think my daughter was the one who named him. He does Forest service roads and tows a trailer as well as really nasty weather. Here in Western Washington we have what I call the god method of snow removal (when we get it which is once or twice a year "Thak Gott" as my grandmother would have said). That is God put it there and God will take it away. The heavy Explorer handles it well as long as I am careful and stay away from everyone else.

8. Yarok

Yarok New Member

"Hector the Hybrid" 8)

9. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We named our Prius Ernestine after Lili Tomlin's telephone operator character a few years ago - on "Laugh In" or perhaps it was "Saturday Night Live".

The inspiration: She listens to us and responds, sometimes in very strange ways sometimes totally unrelated to my verbal request. One thing, though, so far she hasn't responded: "One ringie-dingie.. Two ringie-dingies..." We cycle between gratitude (when the responses are accurate), frustration (when responses are complete nonsense) and amusement (more often than not). :)

Still, Ernestine is a pleasure to enjoy.

-Charles Suitt- Dallas TX

10. edrum

edrum New Member

My 5 year old son named my car "Mike's new car" after the Monster's Inc. short at the end of the movie. The only thing it's missing is 6 wheel drive.

11. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I never name my cars til I've gotten a feel for their personality and behaviour. So my eventually-arriving-Prius has no name picked out just yet. However, my '86 Blazer has been named Beast due to the horribly beastly shape he was in when I bought him (previous owner had gone off-roading and submerged him in a swamp! Eeew!). He also happens to be blue like the X-Men character Beast, though that resemblence didn't occure to me til a few months later.

12. hnational

hnational Junior Member

I ordered in july and i hope to hear very soon from the dealership about my salsa red prius.
    the going nomination for a name is the hebrew national - my favorite hotdog as the colors are kind of similar.
    does anyone have any good license plate ideas i can take and use in IL.
    In IL the vanilty plates are free if there is a number included.
    i know i'm jumping the gun but i'm so darned excited - and the weather is getting a bit too cool for the scooter!

13. jchu

jchu New Member

14. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I don't normally give names to my cars but my Prius has been named Iris - after Iris Ovshinsky, who along with her husband Stan, pioneered the development of NiMH batteries. They made the Prius possible and have been largely overlooked regarding their immense contribution to energy efficiency. We Prius owners owe a debt of gratitude to this fine couple.

15. FloridaShark

FloridaShark Member

I usually don't name cars I own, but since I waited nine long months,like a baby, I thought I'd give it a try. I came up with Prudence. Here is a definition one
    could apply.

An intellectual habit enabling us to see in any given juncture of human affairs what is virtuous and what is not, and how to come at the one and avoid the other. ( Gas Guzzlers vs. Hybrids)

I thought that fit, and so from this day on Prudence is her name.
    Also I thought that this fit,one of my favorite Beatles songs.

Dear Prudence, won't you come out to play
    Dear Prudence, greet the brand new day
    The sun is up, the sky is blue
    It's beautiful and so are you
    Dear Prudence won't you come out and play?

16. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

:lol:
    Prudence is a great choice!

17. journeygirl1

journeygirl1 New Member

GiGi (Short for "The Grey Ghost")

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer\";p=\"51011)</div>

Ahhh, and also unlike other macho men, you use proper, clinical names for body parts. Perhaps you should have considered naming the car "ScootyPuff 3000?"

-Amber

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    ADS 2005 Silver #6

18. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(journeygirl1\";p=\"52219)</div>
    "SP3K" I like that!

19. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't really name cars..a friend has dubbed mine R2D2...but I think if I were to name it, it would be c3po.. the plates WRTHAW8 should be in by the first of next week..so maybe it'll be just... Worth

20. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, &amp; Drapanos, Crete, G
    Ours has been named Carma Electra. Carma for short