1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Napa 16337 Catalytic Converter? Check Engine Free?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rjparker, Oct 12, 2022.

1. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A friend had her 2008 Catalytic Converter removed in the middle of the night parked next to her son's police car at his house. Talk about balls!

So the insurance paid half the cost of a Napa 16337 aftermarket unit installed with an aftermarket O2 sensor, Napa 15733.

She reports the check engine light in still on but the body shop claimed their scanner was not good enough. Does anyone know from experience if the Napa 16337 is good enough to run without a code?

Excerpt from Napa listing for Cat
    • EPA COMPLIANT -- Designed for use on OBDII vehicles, 1996 & newer. Not legal for sale or use in California and Colorado. Legal in New York and Maine on EPA Federal Emission Equipped Vehicles only. Consult your state’s aftermarket converter regulations for details.
    • DIRECT-FIT DESIGN – Direct-fit bolt-on replacement solution with OE-style hangers, brackets, routings and heat shields for easy installation that doesn’t require specialized fabrication and/or welding
    • KEEPS CHECK ENGINE LIGHT OFF FOR EMISSIONS CODES -- OE-style high-technology washcoat and optimal precious metal load delivers required reduction in tailpipe emissions to match vehicle application

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    619 wow it looks like it's direct fit.. the light business I'd use two new denso or Bosch 02 sensors.. both of the proper part. Reset and see.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, I put one of those on a 2005 last month that had the cat stolen as well (customer didn't want an $$ OE replacement). Performed a OBD2 drive cycle and the cat monitor passed then. Haven't heard anything about it since (but I'm not holding my breath).

That said, "their scantool isn't good enough" is BS for "we don't wanna deal with it, so go away". Any $10 OBD widget would read codes, and most would get the Mode06 data for the monitor results also.

If it does have a P0420, both the A/F and O2 sensors have to be tested, there has to be NO exhaust leaks anywhere near the cat (esp the spring loaded flex joint). No misfires & fuel trims have to be near normal (0 +/- 10%). Burning lots of oil will "kill" a cat fairly quickly.

If all that checks out, then the AM cat isn't good enough.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Glad to hear the installed NAPA cat didn't code.

After looking at it, it has a P0038 heater short or excessive current. The check engine clears but returns almost immediately. Recommended she take it back and have them check the wires or sensor.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah tell him don't skimp on the sensors get a good upper and lower a new match set a new set whatever so you're starting fresh give it the best chance anyway

6. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Walker 16337 systems are the best aftermarket systems we've found for the G2 Prius. Probably installed a few hundred without any issue. The Prius is picky about O2 sensors so we will only use Denso. Since the code comes back immediately I'd bet the thieves damaged the wires inside the car when they ripped the old sensor out. I've seen that a few times.

Don't replace the up stream O2 sensor. That would be a waste of money and time.

Mendel Leisk and rjparker like this.
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's good to know because that's your only like to change just one sensor if possible and the bottom one is the easy one a win-win there

8. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The aftermarket o2 sensor was wired incorrectly. Fixed that and the 08 has been error free with the Walker cat and aftermarket O2 sensor since Oct 2022.

Gen2 O2 Sensor and Bosch Replacement.jpeg

#8 rjparker, Apr 5, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
  9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've worked on a couple lately and they have the code for the oxygen sensor heater circuit blah blah blah whatever it says. The car runs fine and there's no changes in anything but it has the light on the dash and that code is stored and it won't clear or anything it immediately comes back because wires are cut in their dangling and it knows the heater is missing I guess. On our personal cars we have no O2 codes just the cat below threshold and that's it but where we live it doesn't matter so we're not really fooling with that.