1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NASA blocking SpaceX progress

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Mar 27, 2022.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: NASA gives priority to Artemis ground test over commercial astronaut launch – Spaceflight Now

NASA officials gave the green light Friday for the first all-commercial astronaut launch to the International Space Station on a SpaceX rocket as soon as April 3. But the astronaut launch could be delayed a day, or longer, to give priority to a countdown test for NASA’s Space Launch System moon rocket on a neighboring launch pad at the Kennedy Space Center.

At the end of a flight readiness review Friday, officials from NASA, SpaceX, and Axiom Space — the company managing the commercial astronaut flight to the space station — formally signed off on proceeding with the launch of four private citizens aboard a Falcon 9 rocket and Crew Dragon spaceship.

The launch is set for next Sunday, April 3, at 1:13 p.m. EDT (1713 GMT) from pad 39A at the Kennedy Space Center, the same day NASA plans to load super-cold liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen propellants into the Space Launch System rocket for a countdown dress rehearsal on pad 39B.

The dress rehearsal will allow NASA’s SLS launch team to run a mock countdown to the T-minus 10 second mark, just prior to the moment when the rocket’s four core stage engine would ignite during a real launch. The rocket is scheduled to launch on NASA’s Artemis 1 mission in June, according to Kathy Lueders, head of NASA’s space operations mission directorate.
    . . .

I am not sympathetic to a decade late, well over budget, scrapheap wonder delaying a SpaceX mission. NASA should push the SLS practice off a couple of days and not stand in the way.

Bob Wilson

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are we going up to retrieve our astronaut from iss and abandon it i hope?

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    once their super cooled hydrogen is loaded on board - the venting begins. Wonder how long it would take before there wouldn't be enough hydrogen to get to their destination.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why in the world would we abandon the most advance spaceship ever built that continues to be fully functional and would take 30 years to fully replace? Just because you destroy perfectly good cookies and enjoy how mad everyone gets, doesn't mean we're gonna let you destroy our one and only big spaceship too.

5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't see NASA "blocking" SpaceX... In fact SpaceX won the bid for a moon landing from them. And yes, SLS is a total joke with no reusability and an eventual launch cost as high as $4 Billion making the entire program destined to get killed next time it needs congressional funding. Only reason the program still even exists is because it's been around for so long and the pigs at the trough who build it spend alot of money on lobbyists who spread campaign donations around.

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don't think of NASA as 'by design' blocking it any more or less than a decade of poor decisions.

Bob Wilson

7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea... Single use vs. reusable rockets kinda reminds me of the Automakers telling Tesla they'll fail because gas engines aren't going anywhere suddenly realizing that they are going to lose almost all of their marketshare in a few years if they don't do a decade of electric car advancement in a few years. As in it's a lot more than a chip shortage that's making new cars so hard to find...

8. asjoseph

asjoseph Samuel, '04 Ruthiemobile

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ... a 21st century freak show, America won't need Einstein or Oppenheimer to deduce, not since its days when its space shuttles went KA-BLAM, has NASA been America's A-team, on aerospace.

Gee whiz, what do they think gave it away?

Could it be, whacked-out astronaut Lisa Nowak, who can drive, nonstop, Houston to Orando with just two "Maximum Absorbency Undergarments," for which to rub out a sexual rival, U.S. Air Force Captain, Colleen Shipman?

Say it ain't so, America's best days, indeed, well behind her, if we still do have an A-Team on aerospace, it ain't NASA - Samuel, '04 Ruthiemobile

9. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    "But the astronaut launch could be delayed a day" or maybe more.

Since when is it considered a big deal to delay a launch for normal reasons? The launch complex was not originally designed to launch multiple rockets per day. See below from the rest of the article linked in the original post.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe we can just toss cosmo overboard...

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Topper?

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    ISS technology may have reached the end of its design life. If modules had been replaced or refurbished in orbit, well that didn’t happen.

Bob Wilson

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    There has been a limited amount of refurbishment :eek:

russian-soyuz-ms-09-spacecraft-leak-holes-drill-hg.jpg

JB Weld, amiright?

bwilson4web likes this.
  14. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m not aware of the cost/benefit numbers for ISS, but my Spidey senses are leaning “abandon-in-place” and start to think about what comes next.
    Maybe throw a few bucks into keeping the platform in a stable orbit….

Again…AGNOSTIC numbers will tell.

We kept five Space Shuttles flying probably 10 years (and 7 humans) longer than we needed to because we didn’t have a follow-on programme.

THAT is the mistake we should not repeat.