1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NASA buying a Soyuz seat

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Feb 12, 2021.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: NASA seeks seat on April Soyuz mission to ISS - SpaceNews

NASA announced Feb. 9 it wants to obtain a seat on the next Soyuz mission to the International Space Station, launching in just two months, to ensure a U.S. presence on the station in the event of any commercial crew delays.

In a procurement synopsis posted late Feb. 9, NASA said it wanted the seat on the next Soyuz mission as it “minimizes risks associated with any interruption in U.S. crew member presence on ISS” that might be caused by problems with commercial crew vehicles.
    . . .

One or more NASA executives need to explain this to a Congressional committee. The article provides no justification that I understand.

Bob Wilson

Data Daedalus and Prodigyplace like this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought the government was supposed to buy American when there is an an American made option.

Data Daedalus and bwilson4web like this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Government efficiency 101.

I think that NASA's budget needs to be reduced, and only increased when they can more efficiently carry out their prime job, as described in their freekin NAME.........ADMINISTRATION.
    We have one and a half private companies that are certified to send squishy cargo into LEO inside a pressurized can, and we have crew aboard the ISS that was thusly delivered.

Meanwhile....the first word in ISS is "International." so leaving the Rooskies aboard to me is preferable to giving Russia hard currency in order to thumb a ride into orbit.
    I think that rather than paying putin for more Новичо́к (novichok) doses, we ought to incentivize Musk or, heck, even Calhoun to relieve Meir and Morgan with 'merican iron.

As much as the US has been criticized tor profligate spending in the Space Race, at least it USED to be mostly spent in the US.....

#3 ETC(SS), Feb 12, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    tochatihu and Data Daedalus like this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The ultimate contradiction

Data Daedalus likes this.