1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NASA nuclear power source . . . hummmm

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Nov 28, 2012.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I like the advantage of launch inert and activate in earth escape orbit. However, I don't like moving parts versus a thermoelectric generator. Also, the last image shows the generators in the center of a remote, Mars station. It would make more sense to have it as far away as possible and let high-voltage cables bring the power to the station. I would also be happier if there were a thermal, reflective shield around the heat generator to minimize the unused energy loss.

There may be more to this than the initial news reports. Just this is what I see from my initial lay-man's review.

Bob Wilson

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    While it would make more sense to have it remote, the required high voltage cables for that will be heavy and/or bulky. Weight and bulk are big issues and costs for getting stuff off the surface of Earth. One suggestion for reducing them for a trip to Mars(I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet) is to produce the needed oxygen and fuel for the return trip there. For efficient production of these products, the reactor might need to be close. Also being in the center of a station makes it easier to use the waste heat for, well, heating.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I hadn't thought of using the waste heat . . . good point.

Bob Wilson