1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

National Arbor Day, April 27, Benefits of a Single Tree

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by hb06, Mar 29, 2007.

1. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "Over the course of 50 years, a single tree can generate $31,250 of oxygen, provide $62,000 worth of air pollution control, recycle $37,500 worth of water, and control $31,500 worth of soil erosion."

"Your trees will be silent sentinels, honorable monuments, and for decades to come, active participants in nature's plan." --National Arbor Day Foundation

http://www.arborday.org/index.cfm

2. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have cut down 4 very mature trees around my house. :blink: I did this with a long term vision, however. They were all introduced species and two of them were highly invasive. One of the mature tree stands I ended up snagging so that it will eventually act as a nesting trunk for critters that require dead trees. It stands at about 14 feet tall. In lieu of the trees that I cut down, I've planted 4 trees (you can give me credit for 5 if you count a tiny sapling of a Shagbark Hickory that's only and inch tall) that are native to my area. All four of them act not only as a high value food source for birds and mammals, but they are all hosts for different types of butterfly species. I do still feel really, really guilty about cutting down such huge trees and wish my teeny tiny replacements would hurry and grow. My husband especially misses the Norway Maple. :(