1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Native American educaiton vs modern American education?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by F8L, Sep 8, 2006.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been reading a lot on the problems associated with out education systems, their shortcomings and essentially how it is all wrong.

A lot of the curriculum theorists are still looking to our ancestry for answers on how we should be educating our children. With advances in psychology and anthropology and from the many errors we have made, and still are making, there is a push for an educational reform and I see so many possiblities for it that its quite exciting.

One great book I'm reading called "Ecological Literacy - Educating Our Children for a Sustainable Future" has a great essay by Malcolm Margolin, author of The Ohlone Way and owner of Heyday Books here in the Bay Area. In his part he tells of the learning systems of old and how people were taught in ways that made learning something "stick" and contributed more to society as a whole. Some of you may be interested and some not but I am finding this shift of idealogy intruiging.

Here is a story that was often told. Firgure out the meaning of it and then ponder for awhile the implications of this kind of teaching and how it could effect a person thoughout his/her life compared to our current "fast food" teaching methods.

From the book:

"Walk almost anywhere in forested lands of the northwestern California and you will hear the plaintive call of the mourning dove. On at least four seperate occasions, when I was with Indian friends, this call triggered the telling of the story of Mourning Dove, o'row'e in the Yurok language. It is perhaps the most popular and widely told of the old-time stories.

Like other such mythic tales, the sotry of the o'row'e takes place in the distant past, shortly after the creation, when all the animals of the world were a kind of divine people (woge in Yuork). They seem to have lived and even looked much like people, and long ago their deeds established the world as we know it today."

"In that old world, o'row'e was a gambler. Once he was deeply involved in a gambling game with others. He was on a great winning streak, piling up around himself great stores of Indian treasure: white deerskins, huge obsidian blades, red woodpecker scapls, long dentalia shells, in short all the wealth and beauty of the Indian world. He was interupted by a messenger who had come to fetch him, to tell him that his grandfather was dying and that he needed to come immediately to the deathbed. Just a few more hands, just a few more hands, said o'row'e, and I'll be right there. He continued to play, continued to win, and his grandfather died. When the time of the metamorphosis occured, when the woge of old took on the animal forms by which we know them, o'row'e was transformed into the mourning dove. To this day you can see glistening around his neck the treasures he had won in that gambling game. And you can hear the call he will make through eternity as he mourns forever the grandfather he once ignored."

Even today, every time someone hears o'row'e cry, it calls to mind that ancient story and with it a constant reminder that one cannot let material gain get in the way of more essential human obligations. If you do, you will pay eternally for the lapse: just listen to o'row'e

2. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I give up. What's the meaning?

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RonH @ Sep 8 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]316632[/snapback]</div>
    I can correctly asusme you got the main part about not putting so much value on material posessions when it detracts from our basic human needs of family and/or friends and being social?

The other point is this is an easier way for us to learn. You listen and must think about the story as it unfolds and often times may have to think about it some more and will later get the meaning but in the end you have used your brain to work it out and come to a meaning instead of just having it handed to you like a fast food order. Our current education system is nothing more than McDonalds in its efficiency in turning out students but like McDonalds many of those students have not learned much of anything and as such lack quality. Basic memorization can only last so long if there are not constant reminders of the study material. In the case of o'row'e, once you had the meaning of the story, any time you see or hear a mourning dove it would be a reminder of why we should value family and our basic human needs over material gain. This is a direct reflexion of our current ploblem we label "Affluenza".

I know this may sound a bit weird but it may just be my inability to convey the message corectly. There are a few sources I am reading and they all keep making points and stating views that I have read in many other sources so I'm coming to this realization that there must be some kind of truth to this to see it so many places and to have experienced the differences myself. If people are interested I can give you the sources so you may read about them yourself but many would require you to buy books.

I may be all about the environment but I'm also about people and with some of the stuff I am seeing in our society and watching my sisters, and nephews grow up I firmly believe we are in need for a change. :(

4. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sounds great. How would you apply this to, say, differential calculus?

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RonH @ Sep 8 2006, 03:39 PM) [snapback]316647[/snapback]</div>
    The point is for younger children to get a better start instead of the jail style system they are in now. With a better moral character and social understanding of their role in cosiety and a more sincere desire to help it should make for better students and overall better people than what we are currently growing.

Im obiously not the authority on the subject but there are a lot theorists that design curriculums that agree with this line of thinking.

It falls in line with some of the ConnectwithKids.com material I read/watch.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Myths are very useful for teaching values. They don't help much for teaching technical or academic skills.

I think what we can learn from native cultures is not so much the use of mythology in character-building, as it is the respect for the earth and our elders. Traditional cultures used old people to educate the young. We dump our old people into nursing homes.

Here again, how many 90-year-olds can teach calculus or computer programming? But there'd probably be a lot less juvenile delinquincy if the grandparents were in the home, teching them to be responsible members of society. For that matter, the extended family in general is a much more healthy place for children to grow up, than is our modern nuclear family, or, worse yet, one-parent families where that one parent has to work two jobs to pay the rent and put food on the table.

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree Daniel. I dont think they point of it is to teach them through myths but more to teach them through the slower learning process that goes along with that kind of education. Smaller schools, more time with children instead of shoving a plate full of numbers, making them swallow it and then using a standardized testing process to evaluate our work. :/ It goes hand in hand with the teaching AND UNDERSTANDING of values, morals, and how it makes one feel to help another. I was gettign my haircut today at a shop with mostly eldery women working there and trhis radio commercial came on with this young kid telling this old man to "get with the times" and then some babble from the old man which basically just made him seem inept. The whole time I sat through this commercial I couldnt help but cringe at the blatant devalueing of the elderly, the woman listing heard it as well and their body language spoke how they felt about it. :( Its how we are being taught, out with the old, in with the new and that the elderly are to be stuck in homes and not valued for their wisdom.

The idea is there is a better way to do this instead of trying to get our schools to perform with factory precsision. Children need to be taught how to think on their own, not made to memorize.

8. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I still don't get it. Are you advocating for grandparents to take over elementary education or home school the kids in an extended family provided by the state if one isn't available (it takes a villiage) or replace the cirriculum with mythology (standardarized, of course, don't want use any unapproved tales such as "song of the south")?

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RonH @ Sep 8 2006, 10:13 PM) [snapback]316840[/snapback]</div>

You know Ron, Im a little tired of the sarcasm from you and some of the other members who want to do nothing more than bash on new ideas and forward thinking. It really is a drag to see that kind of mentality in this world. Especially from people who don't even research the relavent items any further than wikpedia.

I always find it even more amusing that no one ever comes up with a good rebuttal to these ideas, all they can offer up is sarcasm because they lack the knowledge or intuition to throw up a good arguement.. If you are not interested in the subject material then that is perfectly fine. You are entitled to your values and opinions but please be an adult about it and click back out of the thread.

For anyone actually interested in the subject or where the concepts orginate more information can be found here:

Center for Ecoliteracy

Bioneers

Slow Food Movement

10. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 9 2006, 12:58 AM) [snapback]316858[/snapback]</div>
    I am interested in the education of our children. I just don't see how some elitist, romanticized notion of agrarian and aboriginal cultures is going to get migrant workers' ESL kids an education. Pretty pictures of tow headed kids studying biodiversity in Marin County are a non-starter for me. Here's my suggestion: go down to your city's less endowed schools and volunteer to tutor, work in the library or cafeteria.

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RonH @ Sep 8 2006, 11:27 PM) [snapback]316870[/snapback]</div>

I grew up in those kinds of schools/situations so Im fairly well versed ;)

It has to start somewhere and if parents wont initiate it then someone else should. Allowing children to grow up that way is not the right thing to do and unless we start investing heavily in our people we will go nowhere as a culture and the decline of our nation will be in sight. Our currrent systems do not work so changes must be made. Do you have any studies showing other alternatives? Im game to check em out. Most of my friends are teachers or professors so any other info I can talk with them about is great.

Funny you mentioned the migrant workers ESL children. Are you bringing in the illegal immigration problem or just the non-english speaking obstacles faced at schools? The former has no bearing on this discussion, the latter doesnt change the viability of the ideas backing the program because the slower paced learning principles would actually facilitate the education of more children than the current system, including those who dont speak english because most cultures share a lot of the same needs and emotions which is much easier to convey information and start dialog than just shear academics. On this point I visited a remote impoverished "town" called Ayacara in southern Chile/Patagonia this winter on a sustainability program and to see how they ran their school. The school is very poorly funded and some of the items they used to teach the children were truely simple yet ingenious. The children were very sharp and it was very easy to understand the things they tried to show me they were learning even with the language barrier because they had truely learned the material and not just memorized it so it was easy for them to switch angles and approach "teaching" me in different ways till they found a way for me to understand them (IE take me outside and demostrate how their studies related to the outside world).

So please dont dismiss me as some yuppie rich kid who has this fanciful vision of how things could be. I've been very poor and I've had lots of money and everywhere in between. I've had no family (dead or drug addicts in jail/prison) and I've had a loving family (guardian parents). Im probably one of the most dynamic people you will ever meet and I've had to live/learn things the hard way most of the time. Does it make me any less or better than anyone else? I dont think so but I do have a view from most sides of the fence and I dearly wish they would have had these kinds of programs when I grew up. Maybe I wouldnt have spent half my life thinking I was stupid becasue thats how our school system labled me... Wasnt until college I got over that and have remained a 3.9 GPA student since.

12. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am an active participant in my children's education and have done some of those things I suggested. I am not an education professional, but I do have family and friends who are and am regularly exposed to educational fads and research. You seem to be advocating that the best learning results are obtained by doing. No argument there. From my own observation and reading the best predictor of a student's educational performance is parent's income which is highly correlated with opportunities to do. I would be more impressed with the sites you listed if they did some of their research in Oakland or LA rather than Mill Valley or Laytonville. But you can't take a class out to clean up a creek when there is a danger of a drive-by. Its also difficult to keep innovative, staff driven programs going when they move up the food chain as soon as they get enough seniority.

The recent movie "Akeela and the Bee" is an interesting, although cliched, take on the realities of inner city education. Worth a rental.

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll definately check that movie out. :)

I'll be doing a sustainability seminar in Oct. at Chico state and if possible I will bring up the inner cicty applications and what types of adaptations would have to be made or at least any special concerns for something like this to work. If I get anything out of it I'll let you know. And yes, part of it is learning by doing and learning a sense of place which has been advocated for quite some time now.

I think its great you take an active role in their education. :) Since I cannot do too much on the school side with my much younger sisters or nephews, I do what I can outside of the school by the gifts I choose for them and time I spend with them out of school.

14. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 9 2006, 09:07 AM) [snapback]316936[/snapback]</div>
    FYI:
    Paradise Creek and
    Paradise Creek

15. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Off topic, but called for in FHOP:

If you want to talk elitism, then let's talk about the narcissism a lot of people have simply because they are human and are thus "superior" to everything else in the universe... and more pertinently other forms of life on the planet.

We used to think so-called "God" created us and that the solar system revolved around us... boy was that wrong... now it turns out what we know as matter comprises less than 10% of what the universe is composed of!