1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav 9.1: Unable to read map data. Check if map DVD is correct. ('04 Prius)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by EazyMack, Dec 15, 2010.

1. EazyMack

EazyMack Intelligently Designed

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there.

Just bought my first-ever Prius a couple of weeks ago ('04 model). Went on eBay & purchased the navigation upgrade ver. 9.1 for like $45. Tried to install it this morning, but got the "Check if map DVD is correct" error. Disc appears to be genuine & in good condition (light scratches). I've tried googling, and searching the forums... not finding quite the same scenario as this.

Any help for a Prius/Toyota nav n00b? :)

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a difference with the map DVD for the 04-05 Prius versus the 06-09 Prius. You probably purchased one for the later model Prius. In 06, Toyota changed the MFD to a higher resolution.

3. EazyMack

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked to make sure it was compatible before purchasing it. According to the googling I've done, it appears to be.

4. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What generation is the DVD? You need a Gen4 v9.1 for the 04-05 prius (not a Gen5 v9.1 which is for the 2006 and on).

5. EazyMack

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh... this is something I was unaware of. How would I tell?:hurt:

6. Auto Engineer

Auto Engineer Enthusiast, Engineer, Mechanic

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Many of the auctions contain the vehicle compatibility in the auction description. I'm guessing the auction you won did not. So I think you have two options:

First, if you know what vehicle (year and model) the DVD came from, you can find out what Gen Nav that vehicle used by searching the internet.

Second, I believe you can look at the "U" number on the DVD (under North America on the top right). I believe the "U34" is version 9.1 for Gen 5 systems and "U91" is version 9.1 for Gen 6 systems. I'm not sure what the "U" number is for version 9.1 for Gen 4 systems (it may be "U24"). By the time the 9.1 maps came out, there were no more Gen 4 systems in production, so it is probably quite rare to find a used Gen 4 version 9.1 DVD.

7. EazyMack

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Aha... mine is the U91 version.

Guess I'll be selling this DVD back to the land of eBay. Thanks for the help!

8. Auto Engineer

Auto Engineer Enthusiast, Engineer, Mechanic

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the latest maps (version 10.1), it looks like the following numbers apply:

Gen 4: U25
    Gen 5: U35
    Gen 6: U92

I determined these numbers by reviewing a bunch of auctions on ebay and comparing the DVD "model numbers" in the photos with the auction description. So I'm not 100% sure they are correct, but they seem consistent through multiple sellers. A call to a Toyota parts department should be able to confirm.

1 person likes this.