1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav Avoids Freeways

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by JimH, Mar 22, 2016.

1. JimH

JimH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2015 Prius c3. When I enter an address say 30 miles away the route the GPS selects is always surface streets. If I go on a freeway anyway it tells me to take the next exit. Very frustrating. Is there a master reset for the NAV system? BTW I don't have any rules set up to avoid freeways.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you checked through all possible rules or 'avoidances' or preferences? A freeway avoidance sure sounds like the only reasonable explanation.

On some routes, a selection of shortest distance, instead of fastest time, may do this. But this shouldn't happen on every route.

3. InPriusLove

InPriusLove Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    As a default the "Preferences" seem to be (at first use) not to include freeways. This frustrated me for days if odd routing (calling my boss saying I had no idea where I was but the car was taking me to work and I will be delayed). To change this, you go to Edit Route, and you see the option Preferences, click on the screen button that says Freeways, click Okay, and then you will be able to go to freeways.

There is a flip side. If you get off a freeway for some street navigating the GPS will guide you back to the freeway unless you retoggle it back off in Preferences.

Jon Senum likes this.
  4. JimH

JimH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks InPriusLove! That fixed it. I thought I would find that setting just by being in the setup menu or the Nav menu. Once I programmed in a route, there it was.
    BTW we are both on California and have a Moonglow 2015 c3. Great minds think alike.

InPriusLove likes this.
  5. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I can't speak for the Prius C navigation system but I've learned to set my Magellan GPS to "fastest time", because with it set to "shortest distance" it had the annoying habit of occasionally directing me to take a freeway exit only to immediately tell me to get right back onto the freeway again.

rjdriver likes this.
  6. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Oh yes. I made that mistake once with the C's built in Nav unit. After putting in the destination, it calculates the fastest, shortest and "environmental" (whatever that means) routes and asks you to choose. I had no idea how to get where I was going and needed to get there in a hurry so I chose "shortest". Big mistake. Took me through neighborhoods, back streets, dead ends. Very frustrating. Will never do that again. "fastest route" will give you the best mix of highways and side streets to get you there quickly. Probably much like your Magellan.

7. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    The thing is, sometimes when I'm not in a hurry I like driving the side streets, and you usually get better gas mileage by sticking to the slower roads. But if you forget to switch it back again then it can be a pain...

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, "Short" usually doesn't work because the shortest distance may take you through residential streets with stop signs rather than main streets with traffic lights. I guess if you really wanted to keep your odometer in check and have all the time in the world, you could use that option. Otherwise, "Quick" or "Alternative" usually works well.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course. If a diversion will save 20 feet of driving distance, the 'shortest distance' will select it, regardless of how many extra minutes it takes. On longer routes, I have often seen 'shortest distance' find slow mountain / dirt / gravel /scenic roads with slow travel speeds, saving a mile or so at the cost of 3 or more extra travel hours than the freeway route.

For some long travel planning, I will check many different route finders: Prius Nav, Garmin, Google, MS Street & Trips, and Waze. Several give multiple choices, and sometimes different tools give completely different sets of choices.