1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav/backup camera option

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by IABoy, Aug 24, 2010.

1. IABoy

IABoy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wife and I were "kicking 2010 Prius tires" in showroom while we had 2006 Prius 50K checkup done. Looked at Prius with package III that has camera and nav package. However reading the fine print in the catalog, it appears that you pay a monthly fee for the nav option. My question is if you don't pay the fee does the nav system turn off, or does it continue and you go with whatever the last updated map was?

Inquiring mids want to know.:)

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You do not pay a monthly fee for the nav system. If you want to get an updated map DVD, you can buy it from Navteq (I never have in 15+ years of driving cars with nav).

There is a monthly fee (after a free trial period) for sat radio and live traffic info (both of which are useless IMHO).

1 person likes this.
  3. IABoy

IABoy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Stream,
    Thanks for the clarification. See you are in SF area. Obviously your Prius must do OK on those roller coaster hills, but I'll bet the MPH is nothing to write home about!:(

4. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the nav. It's nice. My iPhone does WAAAAAY more including live google traffic. Smaller screen yes but the monthly fee is rolled into my cell bill anyway and WAAAAAY less than a live nav system.

5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Actually, I live on the peninsula (south of SF), currently in a very flat area. I'm averaging 47 MPG--and don't drive like an old lady. ;)

Prior to a year ago, I lived in a hilly area (500 ft above sea level), and was averaging ~ 2 MPG lower.