1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NAV confusion

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by karltl, Sep 19, 2012.

1. karltl

karltl New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ok, I hope I'm missing something or the nav system on my wifes new Prius V/5 suffers from an almost unbelievable shortcoming.

As I said, Prius V/5 (didn't get the advanced tech package). I'm trying to enter the following address...

2001 South State Street
    Salt Lake City, Ut

I dont have a zip code for the location. The nav system insists that I have to enter the City first. I do this (Salt lake City). It pre-loads a zip code. Ok I figure, I'll type in the street address and be good to go. Problem is...as soon as I start typing in the street address the screen narrows my entries down and simply wont allow me to enter the street address. It's as though it too darn smart for itself (I'm guessing it's thinking .....oh what do you know...I know the zip code that you really want to enter for Salt lake and also know that the address you want to enter doesn't exist in that location).

I swear that's what it feels like. Incredibly frustrating! I then tried to enter it via selecting on the map....well boned again! Most cities in Utah use a grid reference system (which once you get the hang of it is really quite brilliant). For example, 2001 South State street is located about 20 blocks south of the center of town, on State street. Problem being, go to the map and it displays street names, not numbers (even though practically every street in and around the downtown area use signs that list the street number (ie 3300, 4500 etc...).

What if I had a street address but wasn't quite sure of the city? How would that work? Vast numbers of places have multiplecities that flow into each other. Salt Lake city flows into Cottonwood, West Valley, Sandy etc.... if the darn nav system insists that I have to know the exact city and the zip code within the city BEFORE it will allow me to type in a darn address...well, thats just a remarkably dumb setup in a remarkably smart car.

Every other nav system I've used would allow you to put in a street address and it would list multiple places/cities within the state where that street address is valid.

Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's the way it works except the advanced tech package that relies upon the internet. Lexus and Toyota use Denso nav units, and that is how they work. Honda and Acura navs are the same too.

If the street did not show up, then you did not choose the right city or the street does not exist in the current map data (i.e. a new road).

On the Denso nav units you should be able to not enter a city and do a nearby city search. I can do that in the Lexus, but it returns so many streets you really have to know which one you want.

8th Street
    8th Ave
    W 8th Street
    E 8th Street
    W 8th Street Ave

and so on.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    While I have the v/3 version, I see the same problem. My solution was to find out how the system describes the street name and enter it that way. For example your address in question is "probably":

2001 S State St
    Salt Lake City, UT

Once you figure out the abbreviations the system is programmed for you are better off. If the location is a frequent one, I save as a favorite with a simple name. Then it's "favorite hospital" using voice or picked off the saved destinations.

4. schinia

schinia Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    i had a 2009 toyota venza w/nav, it worked very well despite a few glitches. the nav in my 2012 v 5 is horrible. for instance, if i am 30 miles from home, and put in a search for a pizza parlor. it ask's me if it's for the area i'm in, i press yes, and it gives me a list of pizza shops a 100 miles away. i hope that toyota puts in a better nav in the upcoming prius's (consumer reports said it was a very difficult radio)