1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NAV coverage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Wayne, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Edit: This no longer appears to be a missing road situation, but in fairness to the responders, I've left that text unedited in the message below. This is now simply a thread on the differences between the 'detailed' coverage areas on various versions of the NAV software.

I think I found out why roads are apparently missing for some people on the NAV DVD. Only select areas appear to be covered in any detail.

If you hit the MENU button, then press "MAP DVD", you will see a "COVERED AREA" button at the bottom of the screen. Press it, then scroll thru the various areas. This shows you where 'detailed' coverage is available.

Now this is Lexus-quality coverage, but not Street Atlas USA coverage. You'd think it'd be the other way around... :blink:

Since neither Toyota nor Denso are talking about what changed between each version, I thought it might be interesting to photograph these screens, and post them to this thread. This may be the only way I can think of that people can figure out what minimum version is required to get any roads missing from their area...

Since I bought my Prius this summer, I'll go first. I have NAV version 5.1. Here are my screens.

So, who else has a different (higher/lower) version? :) What about the '06???

2. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Funny thing. For our Volvo XC90, neither Volvo nor Navteq will say what's been updated either...

Strange that multiple companies won't release any info on what they actually updated.

3. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Denso uses Navteq also, so wouldn't bee too surprised to see that we're using the same database.

I suspect they just don't want to put anything out that would more or less alert people that all roads aren't already included...

4. Jeff Beaver

Jeff Beaver Junior Member

That's incredible. It looks like it's tied to a memory issue, or more properly, a lack thereof. Flash memory is expensive, but it isn't that expensive. Apple manages to cram four gigs into a $250 Nano. Garmin, which is the only after market GPS I'm familiar with, offers complete coverage of every road in the US and Canada. There will always be something that slips through the cracks, as in the case of infrequent errors and new construction, but otherwise it's very complete -- and includes close to 6 million POIs. All of that can be accomodated in two gigs. The portable car nav units, some of which lack enough memory to hold all of North America, are supplied with all the maps on DVD and a means to transfer what is needed to the GPS. In my case, that means most of four states. You would think that for what Toyota charges you would get maps that include deer trails and driveways!

Jeff

5. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Who needs flash memory, I'd be happy with multiple DVD's. Or are there multiple already? I've never looked. If it's just one, then I figure they might as well have multiple one's for each region.

6. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Looks like an honest map of cell phone coverage -- "Can you see me now?"

7. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

I appreciate the responses, but I really would like this thread to be photographs of the various NAV coverage maps. :)

So, anyone got version 4.2? Something earlier? A 2006? Show us your pics! We might actually be able to generate our own list of what changed between each version! :D

8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The coverage area is for POI's. ALL public roads are supposed to be on the disc.

Nate

9. Ghoti

Ghoti Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I believe my car has a 4.3 DVD. I will take some pictures next time I'm in it, and will post them here, most likely tomorrow.

10. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Thanks, Ghoti. :D

Nate, I can find no reference that says the detailed coverage maps apply only to POIs. If you have one, please post it...

11. jbreynolds

jbreynolds Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The "Detailed Area Coverage" are the areas where NAVTEQ offers Detailed City coverage, which generally means that all roads and road attributes (one way streets, turn restrictions, speed limits, etc.) have been field verified.
    NAVTEQ offers map detail for other areas, but at a lower standard of accuracy and attribution. On my nav disk (version 04.1 for the Generation 3 system used in the '02 Prius) Denso uses NAVTEQ data in non-DC areas only for main roads and fills in secondary roads with GDT data. The roads that exist on the map but are not used for routing are GDT data.

12. kinged

kinged New Member

I have been requested to post these here.

06 prius navigation seems identical to 05

Attached Files:

13. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Thanks kinged, much appreciated!! It answers the question as to whether the databases are different (they are not), but also gives us a nice side-by-side comparison of the very nice resolution of the '06 MFD!

Thanks! :D

14. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OK what am I missing? These two image sets seem to be of the same version (5.1).

15. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

You missed the two times we said they weren't different, interestingly, in the two posts right above your own... :)

Still looking for a v4.2!

16. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well. If you are both looking at pics of ver 5.1, then why would expect a difference? It's the same database! :angry: I still have ver 3.3 and it's different from 5.1. I'll post some pictures of 3.3 later today so you can see the difference.

17. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

He originally said he had 5.01, but in any case we wanted to confirm the '06 was the same as the '05. At least the '05s made since August... It was just a confirmation excercise on a car we haven't seen before, nothing more.

Looking forward to the 3.3s...

18. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Slightly off the purpose of this thread, but while we await pics of the 3.3s.....

What level of information is on the non-detailed coverage areas of the 5.01 data base? All paved roads? Some unpaved ones? Gas stations? any POIs ? In short, how useful is it in rural areas?

I have never seen the Prius Nav in action since I have yet to get my '06 and I use a Garmin handheld now.

19. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OK. Here are the Nav version 3.3 coverage images. Hope someone posts from version 4.2 so I'll know what to expect when I get the free update next month.

20. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

I bet you're worried about Warren, Vermont, which isn't in the detailed coverage area, aren't you? :)

I think we're still trying to get a feel for this, but what jbreynolds wrote in response #11 above may be one of the more probable explanations I have seen. In the NAV manual, I see this explanation: "There are two types of areas available for route guidance. In one type of area, primarily around metropolitan centers, detailed route guidance is available for the entire area. In the other type of area, all roads are displayed on the map, but route guidance is limited."

I personally have had no problem with rural areas, but I've only attempted a route to a single location so far.

As a quick test, I picked a random location in the Warren VT area, "279 Brook Road". Take a look at the map (attached below), and see if the roads in that area look reasonable.

Two things I noticed when I did this: First, the guidance lady said "On the way to your destination there will be roads with incomplete data. Turn by turn guidance will not be provided for these areas." Still, I had the usual 3-route selection on screen, varying between 785 and 885 miles from Fort Wayne, and a complete route was shown.

The second thing is I noticed the guidance shown in the picture passes up what I believe is a shorter exit off the highway, but what the heck, it isn't that far off. :)

Next, I checked for POIs. I turned on gas stations, restaurants, and ATMs, and got hits on each. I then turned off ATMs and used the Brook road location as my center, and called up a POI list. That list is also attached below. Forget the arrows, my car was not pointing North when I called up the list.

I think it did pretty well. :D