1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NAV directions do not block radio/cd

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by luelui51, Mar 20, 2008.

1. luelui51

luelui51 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just bought a 2008 Prius 3/14/08 and I can't seem to figure out how to get the voice NAV instructions to block the radio/cd player. The radio/cd, NAV voice prompts, voice command and bluetooth phone all seem to be blending together.
    I have a Garmin 350 NAV and a FM wireless transmitter. On MP3 playback, when a voice prompt for directions comes up the mp3 stops and restarts after the message fine.
    I use this in my other car. I have not tried this in the Prius because it's voice command/audio/NAV system is supposed to work like that also???

Am I missing a setup step to do this on the Prius?

Also I have to say that my $350 Nuvi 350 blows the Prius NAV system right out of the water. It give me 10 times as much info as the Prius. I've lived at my street address for 30+ years and the Nuvi knows my address, the Prius NAV keeps moving my home address? I guess the neighbors will have to be aware that if I come home half looped I might end up in their driveway. And I paid how much for Toyota NAV system?

Also how do you update the NAV. I have ver 7.1 software now. When does Toyota update? How old is ver 7.1? How much does it cost to update?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No idea why, but there is no way to get the NAV to attenuate the volume of the stereo. The BT phone does...but not the NAV...just one of those dumb things you kinda get used to.

The NAV software is updated every year or two...but you'll probably want to learn to live with whatever version you have...price is $250+ for the update...it's cheaper to buy a different NAV system.:eek:

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat, luelui51! I don't have your problem on my 2007. The nav voice comes from the driver's door speakers, and any audio program drops some from that speaker. You can turn up the volume of the nav voice; I think it's on the Info button set up, but I could be wrong. Or try giving the voice command Louder.

The nav on the Prius is made by Denso and there's a DVD reader under the driver's seat. The data on the DVD is always at least two years old. Like Evan said, it may not be worth it to update yearly. New DVDs are usually available in the autumn, around October.

No one said you can't use your Nuvi in your Prius...

4. luelui51

luelui51 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I want to thank you guys for your quick reply and great info.

I was being a little sarcastic ;) about paying so much for the Toyota GPS NAV system. I've been really spoiled by my $350 Nuvi! You would think that the system offered as an option from Toyota would a heck of a lot better for the added price. All that money and the Toyota NAV keeps changing my home registration.

I've updated the Nuvi software online for free and Toyota wants to charge $250+. I think I'll just use the Nuvi when I'm with family and try to impress my friends with the Toyota display, ROFL!

Thanks again and you got a great site!

5. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Take it from an experienced Garmin 360 user who decided to "upgrade" to integrated NAV when I bought my Prius. Your sacasum is fully justified. Upgrade it is not.

The Prius lady will not shut up. It is either no voice instructions or three instructions every block, nothing in between. Plus, all instructions are turn right or turn left She doesn't pronounce any street names.

Garmin gives more than one selection for level of voice instrucions, and tells you to turn on "Mill Plane Bulevard" or "Stark Street" in your selection of male of female voices with the accent of your choice.

Toyota NAV has a 150 page booklet that makes no sense, keeps repeating itself and is not well indexed. Garmin NuVi has a 28 page booklet, but you don't need it due to the intuitive menu system. I cannot tell you how many times I have ventured into an unfamiliar sceen on Toyota NAV and coudn't figure out how to get out of it.

Garmin doesn't provide the Voice Miss-recognition, but who needs that anyway. If I want to go to Wisconson, it is easier to type it into Garmin than to figure out I need to tell the Toyota NAV "Oregon" to ge Wisconson.

My favorite GPS disaster would not have happened if they were using a Garmin NuVi speaking specific street and road names. Also, maybe wouldn't have happened if the radio would not mute and they had not heard intruction to turn right. Listen to the last thing the GPS voice says. It is hilarious

6. luelui51

luelui51 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think I'll just velcro my Nuvi over my MSD....

7. Hostage46

Hostage46 New Member

I'm amazed how poor OEM Nav systems are compared to what's out there. Even Google maps mobile has traffic!

I've had a nav system in my Civic and will NOT go with an OEM unit in my new Prius.

8. luelui51

luelui51 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If I had the chance to do it all over I definitely would NOT buy the OEM NAV system. I mistakenly thought the OEM would be as good as if not better. I guess you've got to realize Toyoto is NOT in the NAV business.

Buy a Garmin Nuvi, a heck of a lot cheaper and 20 times more useful. All you do is connect the Nuvi by USB and download updates about every 2-3 months for FREE..not like Toyota, +$250 for what appears to some very insignificant changes.

As advised I do NOT plan to buy the Toyota update.

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    In 2005 in So Cal I didn't have a lot of options if I wanted to buy a Prius, so I got the integrated. My original plan was to get the next lowest package and get a third-party GPS, but that fell through. I don't mind it, as this is my first NAV system so I have nothing to compare it with. Still, in my next car, it would probably be a third-party. At the moment I'm using the GPS system on my phone as a backup.