1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav Distance Errors?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by OrlandoGuy, Jan 28, 2009.

1. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Today on the way home from a trip to Miami, I noticed a very odd this with the Nav system. On the left side of the Nav screen, the system showed the next turn was to be in 2 miles BUT on the right side of the screen, the exit was showing as 4 miles ahead.

The 2 mile difference continued up until the 'ding' and "Keep Right" voice prompt and the right side picture changed from listing exits to showing the intersection.

Has anyone had this problem before? Would a nav disc update fix this?

Thanks

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Has this happened more than once?

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Map databases are not perfect. There is one spot on a trip we commonly make where the time to destination jumps by 30 minutes. It always happens at exactly the same spot. Whatever algorithm and data is used for the distance calculation, it has a discontinuity at that spot.

Another example is the state of Utah (or was it Wyoming?) On a trip out West last fall, we discovered that the entire state highway system was off by two miles. Our location was correct, and the map showed the exits in the correct spots, but the exit numbers were consistently off by two. It took me a while to figure out what was wrong.

An update may or may not fix your problem. It all depends on what gets updated.

Tom

4. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yes.... computer output is only as good as the input. Clearly, the databases have errors.

5. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There are a few places in my area that have "junctions" that are actually straight ahead. The voice cue is in fact "straight".

6. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have not noticed it before but will watch for it again and will run the same route to check sometime in the next month.

I understand about poor data in/poor data out but what was odd about this is that it was using the same database and reporting 2 different answers at the same time

Thanks for the help

7. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On the right side of the screen you are looking at the distance to the next turn along the route. On the left side of the screen, you are looking at the distance to the destination at the end of the route. Two different numbers using two similar but different calculations. Clearly a database/calculation error.