1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav doesn't know left from right

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Ken S, May 16, 2007.

1. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    A few times over the last couple years I thought the nav system was telling me to take a right when I knew the next turn was a left (the map showed a left). I always figured I just didn't hear it correctly.

Yesterday, though it happened again and I heard it clearly. The map and nav were both showing a left turn at an interesection and the voice said "Right".

This has happened a a variety of places and is not limited to one intersection.

It has also happened with the older 4.2 I think data and the latest data disk.

Anyone else having this problem?

2. mpgFanatic

mpgFanatic New Member

It sounds like Republicans have invaded your navigational system. Contact Howard Dean to schedule an exorcism.

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< I have noticed the same on my 2007. Sounds like a minor programming glitch in the DVD. Irritating and could be a real problem when navigating in a strange area. I suppose I will need to go by the MFD display rather than the vocal commands.

I just put another forum member on Ignore - SIGH

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup, my 05 does it once in a while too.

5. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I use the Nav a lot for my real estate activities, and what I have noticed is that it will take me through a series of turns sometimes so that I will pull up to the property (on the right, this being America and all) so that I don't have to cross the street (only on roads with bi-directional traffic).

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My wife has the same problem, so I'm used to it. :D

Tom

7. Atwork

Atwork New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ken S @ May 16 2007, 09:42 AM) [snapback]443309[/snapback]</div>
    I've had the same problem, multiple times. I do nursing home visits, so drive from home to home all day long (which was why I got the NAV system) so this has been a problem. Also getting the prompt that says "this address doesn't exist on this street) or something close to that. I can understand getting that in a new development, but i get it for homes in old neighborhoods all the time. If I set out with five homes to go to, my NAV system will not be able to find 2 to 3 of them on any given day. So I'm still making yahoo maps the night before, which is SO dissapointing. :(

8. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ken S @ May 16 2007, 07:42 AM) [snapback]443309[/snapback]</div>
    I had just the opposite a few days ago. It said keep left, but the map showed a right exit. Right was the correct direction.

Dave M.

9. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ May 16 2007, 11:47 AM) [snapback]443377[/snapback]</div>
    I expect it is a problem in the NavTeq data set. Although I have not yet encountered it with my Prius, I had a 2001 Audi with NavTeq data. It screwed up the same way several times, but did NOT have a map display. In that car your only visual aid was a graphical arrow display between the speedometer and the tach. I usually just used the voice as I was busy driving and didn't have time to glance at the display even though it was a lot more in my line of sight than our MFD screens. On each occasion, I took the wrong turn and was immediately told to do a U-Turn when possible by the NAV lady. It would not suprise me if any errors we encounter are in all of the car models using their data of a similar vintage. Over three updates for the Audi I never saw a single problem fixed.

- Tom

10. GadgetMan2

GadgetMan2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ken S @ May 16 2007, 10:42 AM) [snapback]443309[/snapback]</div>
    Having had my Prius for only about 3 weeks, I have had limited use of thenavigation system, but so far I find it very useful. I had TomTom for my last vehicle, and although it was a little easier to enter a destination, this one is usable and has a very nice screen. Plus the intergration is nice, not having to have an addon "thing". In either case, I usually refer to the screen quite often and never rely totally on the voice. In some cases, the next turn sometimes is confusing when using voice due to turn offs being so close together. And so far, I have not seen some of the error the TomTom had (streets that don't exist, or dead end roads being used).

11. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ May 16 2007, 08:47 AM) [snapback]443377[/snapback]</div>
    Do you really think anyone gives a darn? :rolleyes:

12. paco-shalom

paco-shalom Veteran Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another "feature" I've noticed with the Nav is that when there is an HOV exit on the left and the regular non-HOV exit on the right, it always indicates that you should take the left exit. Now AZ allows Prii in the HOV lanes when driving solo (since February '07), so that will work, but when I first moved here it threw me off a couple times and I found myself nearly missing the exit on the right. It's not always possible to cross 4 lanes of traffic in 1/4 mile at freeway speeds. :eek:

13. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The only time I have used the Nav system guidance was on a trip to San Diego. From that experience, I have decided that the Nav Lady is a Passive-Aggressive psycho.

She told me to take the next left when I needed to take the next exit right and she lulled me to sleep by continuing to repeat "Remain on I-5 North" about 20 times, and then forgot to tell me to take the next exit until I was already past it.

I wouldn't trust her any farther than I could throw her, but the maps seem to be correct.