1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NAV DVD Upgrade question (2004 Prius)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by barty, Oct 24, 2008.

1. barty

barty Junior Member

A quick question about the mapping on the newer NAV DVDs.

My wife has a 2004 Prius and got a NAV upgrade maybe 3 months after buying the car (it was free). There are a number of new streets in our city that don't show up on her NAV. She called the dealer and they said they just got in the new DVD upgrade for 2009 and she could get it for $265. Yikes is what I said. But I thought I would ask you good folks whether the upgrade will have better maps and whether the upgrade is worth it.

Any comments would be most appreciated.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Really up to you and depends mostly upon your needs. Do you use your car for business needs? Do you live in a large city and frequently go places that are unfamiliar? Do you travel to unfamiliar places and towns a lot?

If so then the upgrade may be worth it as it should include new businesses and streets.

If you just use it once in a while that much money is probably not worth it. It isn't for me. Almost all businesses I frequent or am looking for I can find. The few new ones I can usually narrow down by address entry.

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Before shelling out that much for an upgrade, make sure a 2009 upgrade will work on your 04. I don't think it will as the MFDs are different between the 04/05 and the 06/09.

4. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The navigation update disks are available for GEN4 and GEN5 navi systems. You have to make sure the dealer gives you the correct disk. I believe the the 2004 (same one I have) is a GEN4. I actually purchased a disk from someone on Craigslist but I never installed it. Reason? It is my understanding that this new disk will render the override functionality useless.

5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have the navigation in the Lexus and the Prius. I use the nav in the Lexus all the time for business, so I upgrade it every few years. The maps in the Prius are original and we use it so infrequently I haven't upgraded it.

6. oxnardprof

oxnardprof Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was thinking of replacing my DVD, since I would like to have info on new housing developments. We had a little hassle finding a relative's house, since it was not on the original DVD.

So, I would add the question: can this only be purchased from the dealer or are secondary sources available? I was also thinking of applying a coupon to purchase, to reduce the price.