1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav DVD version 4.1

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by naterprius, Oct 4, 2004.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Nav DVD version 4.1 is here for Toyota Sienna. Their previous version was 3.3. Anyone here with 2005 pkg 9 can check their version?

Nate

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Version 4.1 is the one which came with my 2005 BC (package 6, mind you).

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks! Time to go get the new one...

Nate

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So, did anyone ever get a firm commitment from Toyota about the version for the 2004's being replaced free for being defective?...

5. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Wow... how did your post go nine hours before someone asked, "what's defective?"

Consider yourself asked.

My NAV is a late 2004 and v3.3. It's not "defective." Like every NAV system, it has errors. That's the nature of the man made data.

What defects does your system have?

6. gturtle

gturtle New Member

How do you tell what version you have? How are updates handled?

I keep reminding myself that "the map is not the territory".

My favorite GPS glitch was when I followed the directions to the Getty Center. I knew how to get there, I was just curious what guidance was telling me. It lead me into a neighborhood in Brentwood down the hill from the Center. Probably closer to the geographic center of Getty, but no where near where you park to take the tram up the hill.

Sometimes recovering from errors can get pretty wild.

Has anyone else experienced the last 150ft problem? GPS gets you near the location, but you just can't find the sign that tells you exactly where the location is?

7. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My family is coming to town in December, a few major highways are not on the map disc. Since you asked, they are "The Northwest Parkway" into Louisville, CO from I-25 linking up with E-470, the new interchange at I-25, US-36, and I-270, and the new State Highway 119 bypass in downtown Longmont. Not to mention having the most updated restaurant database...

Nate

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It does seem like AT LEAST people who got VERY late 2004s ( like me :) ) that got 3.3 should not have to pay for 4.1. Of course there is no knowing what they have changed. Corrected errors? Added new roads? Mapquest just recently fixed showing 2 roads in Burlington connecting where they have not for at least 20 years. Probably don't send their "checkers" up here much. I did send them a note about it some months ago, maybe the DO read their mail :)

The Prius GPS location of my house shows up about 100 yards south of the actual road intersection. If I put my street address in, it says it doesn't exist. Must be like that house in London in the Harry Potter books that exists but is magically squeezed between 2 others so only the wizards know about it.

9. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusham\";p=\"43413)</div>
    I'm a programmer, so 'defect' and 'error' are pretty much the same thing.

When I'm told to turn left (incorrect) instead of right (correct) on a regular basis, that's a 'defect'. Telling me to make the next right, when *no* road exists to the right, is a defect that's usually followed by a new route calculation that adds extra time. Telling me to get off the highway, then when half-way down the offramp telling me to continue down that highway, is a defect. Selecting a dirt road when a better paved road which would have been a shorter route had just been passed by is a defect. Plenty of stuff like that.

I'll ignore the phantom turns, where a straight road is broken down into a series of 'bear slightly left' stuff. That's merely annoying compared to the others.

Over the past 9 months, various people have complained to Toyota, and some have gotten what read like grudging admissions that the NAV data wasn't as good as it could be. However, a promise to replace it under warranty as defective was never posted, so I was interested in asking if anyone did actually get that from Toyota.

If there's a Universal Warranty on NAV stuff, where only 60% of all directions are supposed to work correctly, then *maybe* there's no warranty issue here. Never heard that argument before, though...

10. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000\";p=\"43445)</div>
    Maybe they should be giving you the new model to replace your 04, free of charge, because some of us received our 2005 cars a week and a half before you took delivery of your car.

Perhaps the newer NAV DVD version was the tradeoff for the $400 increase in the MSRP.

;)

11. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(10132003\";p=\"43479)</div>
    In that case a LOT of 2005 owners are getting overcharged since the NAV is only available in the BC. Or maybe they are all unwittingly subsidizing the new DVD. :) But you do have a point. The person that got the first 2005 should get SOMETHING for the extra money compared to the person that got the identical last 2004 that rolled off the line right in front of it.

I think they would likely sell more updated DVDs if they charged a reasonable price. Except for people who drive all over the country, there may not be many updates that apply to a given person. I don't know if there is even a list somewhere that we can check to see what is updated. Maybe they do some huge update in Boston or Chicago one time and don't go back for 2 years. At least it would be nice if we could decide whether there is value in upgrading for us individually.

12. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

naterprius,

I have family in Longmont (not you) so thanks for the heads-up. I know better than to try to impress them anyway. I think we'll all just be tolerant of the little defects.

That is, I will stay with 3.3 and skip every other update (at least). I know Toyota has a disclaimer to the effect that it is not responsible for giving illegal directions (such as wrong way on a one-way street - the posted signs are of course right), but I could do without many suggestions to "make a legal U-turn" which is clearly not legal.

13. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd pay $50 for the update, if there's a trial period where I can find out how many defects I know of are still there. If it still does the same stuff the old ones did, it would *have* to contain roads not on the old one or it would be a COMPLETE waste of money instead of a minor waste. With the new roads, come possibly better routes...

14. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I naved to the Getty too, and it worked fine for me...except it wanted me to get off an exit early. There are several nav points for the Getty, though, so maybe that's the issue.

Being new to the LA area, I find the nav to be a Godsend. It enables me to do so much stuff I couldn't nearly as easily do. I can go wherever I want and not worry about getting lost, and I can find chain stores where I need. My biggest annoyance is the lack of Cold Stone locations. :mrgreen:

15. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Your Location:
    claremont ca

10 Nearest Stone(s)
    1. Cold Stone Creamery 909-988-1881
    1515 North Mountain Ave Suite B
    Ontario, CA 91762
    2.89 miles from the center

16. guyboston

guyboston New Member

Is it possible to add the NAV system to a base 2005? My Prius will arrive in the next week or so - financing issues prevented me from getting it in the order. (Upside-down - not a good thing!)

17. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, &amp; Drapanos, Crete, G
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(guyboston\";p=\"43767)</div>
    No. Its not possible. You would have to install a 3rd party unit of some sort and it wont be integrated into the Prius.

18. gturtle

gturtle New Member

When I was naving to the Getty I was on Sepulveda and using "no highway", perhaps that was the difference. In general I use "no highway" in LA, I find it generally finds good routes that don't involve freeways. Coming home from Lake Havasu the GPS (actually the Streetpilot) directed me along Baseline and Huntington, old Route 66. More lights, but cool scenery and no traffic to speak of. Probably an additional 30 minutes of drive time.

Speaklng of the Garmin Streetpilot, I had one when I bought my Prius so I use them in tandem. Sometimes I nav to the same location (especially "home") and choose the more interesting route. A Streetpilot might be a good addon for folks that have less than BC. I should write up the differences, a couple of thngs I like about Streetpilot are elevation and freeways by name. But it's map has flaws as well.

I wish nav would offer up four routes: quick 1, quick 2, short and highway. That way you could evaluate on a case by case basis the advantage of using highways.

19. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, &amp; Drapanos, Crete, G
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gturtle\";p=\"43786)</div>
    Now that is a good idea.

20. gturtle

gturtle New Member

So how about some points? I would smile here if I could stomach graphic emoticons.