1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav in 2006 - Keeps speed record?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by osiris12, Nov 2, 2006.

1. osiris12

osiris12 Owner of 3, yes three priuses

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi All,

Just wondering if my 2006 Prius stores my speed and location inside its diagnostic computer.

I've been reading this
    Britain is becoming 'Big Brother' society: report
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061102/wl_uk...tv_061102190511

Just wondering...

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Some speed and other control information is stored for a short period of time. This can be accessed in the event of a crash.

Tom

3. osiris12

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Nov 2 2006, 08:55 PM) [snapback]342952[/snapback]</div>

Thanks qbee42, So it is tracked. Does it keep track of location of the speed.

Is there a way to erase that data

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Locations are not recorded. Black boxes are now common on most, if not all, new motor vehicles.

Do a Google search for: "Automobile Black Boxes."

Here is an example:

5. Stringmike

Stringmike New Member

In the USA, however, the black box and the information in it is the property of the vehicle owner. It can only be obtained by others by the use of a search warrant or similar legal instrument.

I should also note that cell phone records have been used to see if they were being used at the time of an accident and may have been a contributory cause. (Cell phone use while driving is pretty equivalent to driving drunk).

Mike

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stringmike @ Nov 2 2006, 08:39 PM) [snapback]343018[/snapback]</div>
    Not completely accurate. Legislation regulating the use of the EDR recordings exists in only about one quarter of the states. California was the first state to regulate the use of such data with a law that was enacted in 2004.

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Hello osiris12

You don't say WHERE you are or which Prius you're driving... if, indeed, you ARE driving a Prius. Knowing your location, and model of Prius are always helpful when responding to questions.

Want to "erase" the data? :D Have you been speeding and want to get rid of the evidence? :D

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    to the best of my knowledge, the "black box" does not integrate with the nav unit. instead, it has a short term memory, which is only capable of saving data for a a few seconds, maybe a minute. The data it records, i believe, is speed, rotation of the steering wheel, pressure applied to gas and brake pedals, and probably some internal data (such as traction control or ABS activated, etc).

They key point is that it's short term - no one can go to your car and tell how fast you were driving last week from the data in the "black box". and while explicit legislation hasn't been drawn up in every state, the information is erased fairly quickly unless the car senses and accident.

So you don't have to worry about it having a recording of all your illegal driving habits (speeding, illegal U turns, etc) :p

9. Stringmike

Stringmike New Member

True - legislation has been enacted in only a number of states.

However, my main point was that the car and any recording devices in it are the property of the owner and proper legal procedures should be used to acquire data from it. This is true in all US States since property rights are (supposedly) guaranteed by the Constitution. There have been cases where police have obtained data without the permission from the owner, such as when a vehicle has been impounded as part of an investigation. The latest regulations are to remove any possible ambiguity on ownership of data and access by authorities to it.

Mike

10. osiris12

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stringmike @ Nov 3 2006, 03:27 PM) [snapback]343428[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks everyone for your insight (no pun intended). I'm not a speeder but value my privacy and this info puts my mind at ease for now. It seems that Briton is becoming a police state rather quickly. I'm sure the states will not be far behind.

11. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I'm not familiar with the Prius nav. but my Garmin Nav units include a "trip computer" function that runs all the time. They record max. speed among many other things, and will keep that reading until you manually erase it. I use it to remind myself to drive carefully. It's amazing how fast you can go when passing someone on a busy two lane road (135 km/hr seen on the Garmin but not by me as I was concentrating on the oncoming vehicles)! Not in a Prius though. ;)