1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav instructions from my Android phone are not played over bluetooth

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by abensky, Nov 12, 2017.

1. abensky

abensky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a Nexus 5X Android phone running the latest OS (O). My Prime recognizes it and auto-pairs whenever I get in the car. I cane make and receive calls and text messages, which the car read to me (very cool!).

However no matter what I try I can't get navigation instructions on the phone to be played over the car audio. What's worse is that the phone thinks audio is being played over bluetooth, so it remains silent. Net effect is no navigation instructions at all!

How can I get the car to always play audio from the phone over bluetooth?

I've also run these tests
    - connect the Nexus phone to a portable bluetooth speaker and run navigation. Instructions properly come out the speaker (so the phone and nav app do play nav instructions over bluetooth)
    - connected an iphone to the car and it had the same problem, phone works over bluetooth but nav instructions are silent.

Any ideas?

2. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you checked the Entune Compatibility List? This is a biggie first hurdle.

My Samsung S6 via BT and Google Maps announces directions over the car speakers just fine. Note the Media volume on the phone must be turned up.

3. abensky

abensky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Both iphone 7 and nexus 5/5x are compatible and they work for all other bluetooth functions but map directions.

4. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I couldn't check your compatibility because I didn't know your carrier. With my same S6, I don't get map directions via BT on my 2014 Camry Hybrid nor on my 2014 4Runner, but I do get them on the Prime. Assuming your "media" volume is turned up, I next suspect Entune. Have you checked for Entune updates? I've had two since September. Are you connected to "anything" else via BT other than the car? Are you also plugged in via USB at the same time? If so, unplug from USB to test this.

PS, I even get the direction info over the speakers even while playing music over BT from the phone.

5. abensky

abensky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Both are very modern phones wtih all apps up to date and both have the same problem. The USB port in the car is useless and I don't use it (it does not charge fast enough to keep the phone charged while navigating).

Entune app on the phone should not be involved in simple bluetooth sound. All other bluetooth sounds work properly and even making calls and reading texts work properly. It's only the simple audio directions that don't work.

6. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I wasn't talking about the phone "app" at any point above. Check for and Update Entune on the car.

7. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I just checked the Entune comparability list for all 5 carriers for a Google Nexus 5X Android and I did not see it listed as compatible from any of the 5 carriers phone lists. The only Google phone listed is the G-2PW4100 & 2100? Where did you see that the Nexus was on the Entune compatibility list?