1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav?Radio wont shut off?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jdjd, Apr 16, 2022.

1. jdjd

jdjd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Anybody know why my Nav/radio wont ever shut off in my 2010 Prius? I had to pull a fuse from under the hood to get it to shut off or it keeps running the battery down. Any ideas?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What do you mean by "shut off"? The unit normally only goes to sleep when the car is turned off (if you ever power it off completely, you see how long it really takes to boot when the car is next turned on). Is yours continuing to show its display even when the car is off?

Which fuse did you pull?

Power arrives at the unit both at the gray wire (L40 pin 11) supplied in the car's ACC mode, telling the unit when to be awake, and the sky-blue wire (L40 pin 1) that is always powered, keeping the unit alive while it sleeps.

The always-on power comes through the RAD NO. 1 fuse, and the ACC-wakeup power comes through the ECU-ACC fuse.

There are two (cigarette-lighter shaped) "power outlets" in the car. Do you have something you can plug in to those to confirm they have power in ACC mode and turn off when the car is off? They are both governed by the car's ACC mode signal, but by different relays. One of them is the same relay serving the ECU-ACC fuse and therefore your nav unit.

acc.png

3. jdjd

jdjd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the reply and help. The screen stays on all the time even when the car is shut off. It stays on untill the battery goes dead. The unit all of the sudden will not show any words ,graphics, or anything at all on the screen except it looks light blue and is obviously lit up. The radio still plays and sounds normal when the car is turned on but does not play when the car is turned off.The screen wont flip up to load or eject disks. You can force it up and it will eject and load disks. If you touch the screen it will beep so I am assuming the touch feature works but you cant tell what you are touching because there is nothing except a light blue screen. The fuse I pulled was under the hood and I think it was a 15 amp fuse. I will check out the outlets you spoke of and report back. This is an old car that I would still like to drive a while longer and could live without the screen working but I need it to shut off when I turn the car off.And thanks again.

4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    mmmm almost sounds like something is fused/melted together in the radio allowing
    part of the radio to stay on........
    Maybe pull the radio and look at the connectors and see if something is not correct.
    Next would be taking the radio apart and inspecting it...

5. CLJOKLA

CLJOKLA New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It could be a short too. You might double check the fuse box and see if there's any debris in there that might be able to short some contacts together. Also if you recently had any unrelated maintenance done, you should look around those areas to see if they may have pinched a wiring harness when they put things back together.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It will be easy to pick a way forward as soon as the OP has reported the behavior at the car's two power outlets as discussed in #2 and #3.

7. jdjd

jdjd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Lost track of this thread as I’ve been out of town. Back now. As far as the ac outlets, they both have power when on the AC position. They both turn off when shutting off the car. They both have power when the car’s in the run position. This is all with the 15 amp radio fuse removed from under the hood. Thanks for any help.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, so the next two things I would check would be voltage at L40 pin 1 (sky blue) and L40 pin 11 (gray) at the back of the unit, with a multimeter, to try to confirm that the sky-blue one is always powered, and the gray one is powered only in ACC (or ON or READY). That should be checked, of course, with the fuse you've been removing not removed. (If you like, you can check again with the fuse removed; then we'll know which of those you've been pulling the fuse for.)

If you confirm the correct behavior of power arriving on those two wires, then I'd suspect whatever is zorched is just inside the unit itself. If there is power arriving on the gray power wire when there shouldn't be, then that might call for investigating the wiring.

9. jdjd

jdjd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the help. I will try to check that soon.