1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav Reset?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Stilview, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Stilview

Stilview New Member

Bender's NAV seems confused. If we're sitting outside our local Sears and ask for directions, it wants to send us to one 200 miles away. Not sure if this is the result of the NAV update done earlier in the year or due to dinking with the settings. Anyone have the procedure to reset the NAV to factory default or experiencing similar?

Thanks,
    Scott H.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Do you have the region set correctly?

3. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

How are you telling Bender to send you to that store? Are you using POI names, like typing in "Sears"? If so, be aware many POIs enter their name differently, so you simply enter "Sears", you may get 80 listings, of which "Sears Roebuck & Co" may have something like 228 entries. You may have to page down many times in a 80-name list to get to "Sears Roebuck & Co". Keep an eye on how many stores are listed under that name, that should help you find the most probable listings.

Hope that helps!

4. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Ordinarily, the POIs are sorted by distance from your present position, but as posted, that is only for the list which is spelled exactly as you entered. If you choose a spelling variant that only has a store far away, that will be the first suggestion in the list of destinations. There are a lot of examples of "alternate" spellings or titles, and it pays to check tham all.

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) I believe hdrygas hit on a likely answer. First thing to check would be the REGION. Page 20 in the Navigation System Owner's Manual. Press the "Destination" button on the panel; "Change" on the MFD and confirm that you are set to your current region.

Right after I updated to the new DVD disk, I had the same experience - NAV trying to send me to somewhere in New Jersey.

6. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    POI search doesn't seem to be linked to region, so if you wanted "Department Stores" and happened to be near a Sears, it might be first.

If you search by name, you get an assortment of names in your region, but which type of "Sears" you pick will determine what you get. I start with the one showing the most instances, and work my way down.

One bad name is "Wal-Mart". Sometimes the Wal-Mart nearest you is spelled "Wal Mart" with no dash...

7. Stilview

Stilview New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I checked those early on. This seems to have become more problematic after the DVD upgrade I had done months ago. Was hoping for a way to reset the thing to default.

8. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Can you tell us step-by-step what you are doing so we don't have to guess?

9. jangus

jangus New Member

Stillview wants to know how to "reset" the Nav system back to default. I wouldn't mind obtainging that knowledge as well. I'd like to erase all or some of the places I've searched and traveled to just to eliminate the obvious digital trail. Anyone know how to do this?

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Try a search of the board. When the Nav diagnostic screen was found to override the use in motion several brave folks started experimenting with the other options and hosed their Nav systems. They reset the system and discussion is there it involved disassembly of the Nav ECU (the DVD box under your seat) unplugging it and hitting a reset button on the circuit board, if my memory serves.

11. kpauley

kpauley New Member

Here's a link to the Nav Reset that I came across before. There may be other versions but this one is fairly detailed and of course the only one I've seen :)

Nav Reset post

12. Stilview

Stilview New Member

Now we're getting close. A reset is exactly what I want and is mentioned in the thread by Rick. A search for "full factory reset" didn't reveal the hidden menu referenced in the thread. I poked around the menus in the 'Nav Defeat' menu, but didn't see it there (and where is that 'Phone Defeat' menu???). Any links out there?

Thanks everyone,
    Scott H.

13. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I do not know what needs "resetting." The process above was due to hitting the undocumented menu items in a way that crossed things up:

"The display restarted and came up with a blank green screen with the message “please insert the correct Navigation discâ€. Now, no matter what I do all I get for navigation is that screen. "

I would doubt that normal menu selections or operation would do this, and your problem description does not match this post.

What was the "Nav update" and "dinking" that you did?

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oo, Oo that is the one. I am not sure it applies to you.

15. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

I'd still like to hear step-by-step what he's doing. I agree, this is not what he should need to fix a navigation routing problem.