1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NAV route planning question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by galaxee, Nov 21, 2006.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    could someone with NAV answer this question for us?

if you're travelling between two map regions (say, from the southeast to the northeast), can you input the destination address in your home region and get directions? do you have to switch to the new region to input a destination and will it give you directions from your current region? or do you have to get directions to the end of your home region, then input your destination once you reach the destination region?

since we don't have that particular option we're not familiar with its operation. any help is much appreciated. TIA ;)

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Simply switch to the destination region and put in the address. It'll give you directions the entire route without you having to do anything else.

The NAV computer only uses the region setting when searching for the address. if i put in "cleveland ave", it would pop up with dozens, maybe even hundreds across the nation... limit it to a region, and it's more like 10. the same thing goes when typing in the city for the search area - there are a ton of cities across the country with the same name - it wouldn't surprise me if there was a "Columbus" or "Washington" in every state. Limit it by area, and it's a lot easier to find the one you want.

Calculating the route from region A to region B can happen even if you set it in region C.

I used it when coming from Ohio to Minnesota, so i can promise that it works.

3. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    thanks for the quick reply, eagle! that was very helpful.

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Howdy galaxee

Not sure I can give you a definitive response, but I can give a partial...

On a trip between Texas and Arkansas (different NAV areas), I was able to use the "Go Home" command while I was in Arkansas successfully while my system was logged in to the Texas area. Although I did not use the MENU to chage areas, my 2004 NAV system did show all the streets and highways in both areas.

I believe setting "Home" [or any location] actually records the Latitude and Longitude to mark that location. I suspect that you would need to switch "areas" if you wanted your NAV system to search for and mark a specific address though. If I wanted my NAV system to locate and mark a specific address in another area, I would switch to that area and do the search. Once done, then I believe I would instruct NAV to take me there from wherever I was.

Hope this did not confuse the issue for you.

THANKS for your continuing support of PriusChat and particularly for your informative responses. Helps to have a "DOCTOR'S WIFE" [Doctor = Technician] in the group. :D :D

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Just to give an example of having to change regions for searching, when I installed Coastal's NAV override (the original version) it worked fine UNTIL I tried to locate an address. It said it didn't exist, not even the street. I ended up having to use a Thomas Guide to find a street that's been around for decades. :blink: What was really sad was that when I was actually on the street the name popped right up.

Later on I discovered that when the NAV system rebooted after the installation, the region had changed to Florida. After I changed it back to California it worked correctly.

I have some friends who live in another region, so I made a change when I set them up. Now that they're in the system I don't have to worry about changing the region.

6. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    thanks for your help everyone, that makes perfect sense.

the use of the nav system is probably DH's main stumbling block as far as prius stuff goes :lol: he's going to the nav diagnostics class one of these days.