1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav screen to CD changer stuck open

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by lilbug, Nov 28, 2012.

1. lilbug

lilbug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been having problems with our 4 disc CD changer that came in our Prius for awhile. Anytime there were more than two discs in there the third disc would just spin continuously when loaded and sometimes the nav screen wouldn't close no matter what buttons I pushed. Eventually though, I could get the third disc ejected and get the screen closed. So I was only putting two discs in at a time but decided to test it out again today to see using some different discs. Of course the third disc just kept spinning. I was able to eject disc 1 but the other two are stuck in there and the screen won't close. When I start the car up the discs just spin and it sounds like it's trying to switch discs but something is jammed. Anyone else have this problem? I'm guessing that I need to take it in to the dealer or a car stereo repair place?

2. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    We had a somewhat different problem (changer "stuck" changing discs) and the dealer (Hoselton Toyota in East Rochester, NY)was NO HELP (car well within warranty). They came up with the excuse that they were library CDs (which I wanted to get out) and that was the cause - hence NO WARRANTY. MINIMUM CHARGE $476 to retrieve CDs.

In my case, the screen would not open (even when I tried to eject the Nav DVD).

My solution (and this may well work for you): disconnect the power to the changer (pull the fuse) for a minute, and try again. That worked like a champ for me (no problem with CD labels). I theorize that something temporarily got hung up (it first acted up when interior of the car was very hot) and the changer logic "remembered" a problem and, no matter what the actual physical state wouldn't get beyond that imagined state. Pulling power caused the logic to reset and move on.

lilbug likes this.
  3. lilbug

lilbug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks so much for the advice! We'll try that and hopefully it will work. I was able to get the screen to close last night (I wonder if it helped that the car had fully cooled down) but still have two discs stuck (library discs too!) inside.