1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav Street Name Input - Why not QWERTY?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GregAZ, Apr 30, 2005.

1. GregAZ

GregAZ Junior Member

I am having a hard time understanding why the Streen Name input in the Navigation system of my Prius is no QWERTY? The letters are layed out in order, but who types like that? Is there a way to set it to QWERTY input? If not perhaps this can be a mod that someone tackles and sells, because I know I would buy it ...

Best,
    Greg in Arizona

PS: Seems like there are a lot of Arizona people on here!

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

No way to change it, either the NAV or the MFD would have to be reprogrammed. If the keyboard is from the NAV, there is a chance, but nobody has cracked the NAV programming on the DVD. If someone had, we would have already disabled the I Agree screen, and removed the speed disable 'feature'. Also we would have been able to obtain cheaper sources for the map data.

But why ABC and not QWERTY? First, not everyone is a typist and knows QWERTY. Second, QWERTY is only efficient if you are typing with 10 fingers. I do type decently with QWERTY keyboards, but if I have to type from the side or with one finger, forget it. In such a case, ABC is better.

By the way QWRTY keyboard was designed to be inefficient so that the keys on manual typewriters would not jam with fast typists. The QWERTY was designed to slow the typist down, and also to make it less likely that consecutive keys would jam together. Divorak was supposed to be its modern replacement, but hasn't taken off.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hey Greg.
    With the warm temps in AZ compared to Chicago, I wish I'd be driving there. My MPG really takes a beating with the temperature swings.

Anyway, there are actual keyboards with the keys in alpha order like there. There is also a key layout called DVORIK, which is different than QWERTY. Maybe it's just easier to make the keyboard alpha ordered.

I use the keyboard quite a bit and found that I got used to it relatively easily. And it didn't even affect my QWERTY typing! :)