1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav system disclaimer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by KCPrius, Mar 2, 2005.

1. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

We just picked up my wife's 05 Black Prius on Monday, which has package 6. Every time she starts the car, the nav system disclaimer pops up and you have to press "agree" to get past it. Is there some way to disable this disclaimer...I mean, how many times do you have to be told that Toyota isn't responsible if you get lost????

2. rflagg

rflagg Member

http://www.coastaletech.com has a product to kill it, hopefully just now in production - expect a wait for it though as it's in high demand!

-m.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Nav system discalimer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KCPrius\";p=\"68700)</div>
    Hmmm, maybe it's waiting for you to carefully read the disclaimer...it's about driving safely and not crashing.

Your song is a familiar one, there is no permanant way to get rid of it. Now, there's no need for it to appear "Every time she starts the car". Just leave the MFD on the Energy/Consumption screen and it won't appear at all until/unless you hit the MAP or NAV button.

Also, there is a mod coming from http://www.coastaletech.com that will automatically hit the "I Agree" and it will allow entry of NAV data while the car is in motion. See --> This Link

4. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It isn't an "in case you get lost" thing, it is an "In case you get in an accident and kill someone while staring at the screen instead of watching the road" thing. :)

And you don't have to hit it every time you start the car, only the first time you go to the map after starting the car.

Coastal Technologies has just announced an "I agree" bypass mod. Easy plug in under the driver's seat. They have many other Prius mods available.

Geez you guys are fast! I figured I would be the first reply!

5. rflagg

rflagg Member

haha, Sorry Bruce :)

Perhaps Toyota should add an "I agree" screen stating that one needs to read the I agree screen while not driving or Toyota is not held responsible for any problems caused when reading and agreeing to the screen while driving. :)

-m.

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000\";p=\"68707)</div>
    ... or the telephone screen, or the calendar screen, or the maintenance screen....

7. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

Yes, I know it's about driving and not crashing. If that's the case, why put it in the car in the first place? You're going to be using it while driving - if you haven't got the sense that God gave a goose to realize that driving is more important than any other function (except apparently making phone calls), then perhaps they shouldn't sell you that feature.

And what happens if, the first time you go to the map, you happen to be going 45 mph? Shouldn't it stop you from reading the screen until you are stopped? Or is it somehow safer to have you careen off the road as you reach to press the "I agree" icon?

One final question though...I tried to enter our home address into the database, so I entered my house number with no problem, but I live on a numbered street, for the sake of discussion, it's 155th street. When I try to enter the street name, it only accepts the first 2 digits, and I can't put the entire address in. I also notice that when I try to select a city, my city ( a suburb of Kansas City) isn't an option, however, just about every city in Pennsylvania is acceptable.

8. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Do you have the nav set to your region?

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"68742)</div>
    ... or the telephone screen, or the calendar screen, or the maintenance screen....[/b][/quote]

Well now I'm going to have to go check, but I'm pretty sure you don't get that message with anything under the "INFO" button (which includes all the stuff you mentioned), and the MFD won't display any of those screens on start up. They are, of course, disabled while the car is moving, however.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KCPrius\";p=\"68748)</div>
    B/C some people don't have that much sense, and even those that do would happily sue Toyota for untold millions when they careened off the road. That disclaimer isn't for intended to help us, it's intended to try to deflect some of Toyota's liability. To those of us with sense approaching that of a goose it's an annoyance, but little more than that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KCPrius\";p=\"68748)</div>
    You need to reset your region...I think MO is in region 6 or 7 on NAV v4.2 which is what you should have.

11. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

Thanks Doc....I'll check that just as soon as I can get her out of the car!!

In her old car, she'd fill up at about 300 miles , after the low fuel light had been on longer than I thought comfortable(the old car took just under 20 gallons to fill). Yesterday she said she had about 300 miles on this tank of gas, and wondered when she should fill it. I asked her how many dots were on the fuel gauge. She said there were 3 showing. I said she was good for a few more days, but to stop for gas when the one dot started flashing. I have a feeling she's going to love this car even more at that first fill up.

12. geckoboi78

geckoboi78 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KCPrius\";p=\"68700)</div>
    the coasteltech product not only bypass' the "I agree" but it also allows for you to do other things while driving that are normally locked out.

13. ThetaSigma99

ThetaSigma99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"68781)</div>
    Ironically, yesterday my Prius' navigation system actually directed me to drive off the side of a bridge so I could turn onto the underpass below. Obviously, I ignored its guidance. :)

14. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ThetaSigma99\";p=\"69068)</div>
    Around here, it's a lot of 'proposed' roads that never were built but seemed like a good place to send me. I see black lines leading away from the current road, but not even a dirt road exists...

15. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

Sadly, I suppose the reasons for the disclaimers can be explained below....this is from the NHTSA list of vehicle complaints. Someone took time to send this to their attention as a safety matter:

Make : TOYOTA Model : PRIUS Year : 2004
    Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC.
    Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
    Actaully, I guess I do understand the disclaimer better,

ODI ID Number : 10051428 Date of Failure:
    December 10, 2003
    VIN : JTDKB20U840...
    Component: OTHER
    Summary:
    I HAVE A 2004 PRIUS. (YOUR SUSTEM DOES NOT SHOW A PRIUS, SO I CHECKED THE TOYOTA MATRIX BOX, SINCE THE SYSTEM MADE ME CHECK SOME MODEL BOX.)THE TOYOTA NAVIGATION SYSTEM IS DEFECTIVE--IT DIRECTS TURNS ONTO NON-EXITENT ROADS. PEOPLE WILL DIE WHEN THEY FOLLOW THE SYSTEM'S DIRECTIONS AND DRIVE OFF ROAD AND CRASH. LETTERS TO TOYOTA HAVE GONE UNANSWERED. BY TELEPHONE TOYOTA ADVISES THAT THIS IS NOT THEIR PROBLEM.

My apoligies to geese everywhere.

16. ThetaSigma99

ThetaSigma99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume the GPS system only does two-dimensional coordinates (i.e. latitude and longtitude), right? So it can't tell the difference between a road that is on the same level as the car or a road that is 100 feet down? If this is the case, perhaps a future GPS system might be able to handle 3-dimensional coordinates?

17. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

I noticed when coming home in my wifes new Prius that it showed those black lines as well...since I wasn't driving, I had the opportunity to check - and there were indeed small dirt roads that didn't intersect the road we were on, but they most certainly DID exist. I would never have noticed them had I been driving.

18. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Re: Nav system discalimer

:) Seems some may expect the NAV system to be a substitute for good common sense - Oh, I suppose they're only kidding :lol:

One thing I enjoy about the NAV system is its ability to "adjust" when I arbitrarily change the route while enroute. After I have selected one of the three route choices offered after I have entered a "destination," but decide to go another way. Within about 200 ft., my NAV system readjusts and changes its guidance.

And another PLUS is the "entertainment" content when the NAV lady's responses to queries seem unrelated, even innane. I just say it again until she does what I ask.