1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav system: finding "along route"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Scott_R, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OK, maybe I went through the manual a tad quickly and missed the point, but I was wondering if there's a way to do a particular function with the Nav system.

I've had a Garmin 2620 GPS for a couple of years now, and one feature I love is to search for a particular item (what the Nav system would call a POI) along the current route, or within a specific distance from it.

For example:
    Summer of '04, I went on a cross-country drive. I'd settled into the long, boring drive across the Plains states (no offense to those living there) when I looked down and saw that I was barely cracking a quarter tank of gas.

D'oh!

No problem. I hit Find on the GPS, and set it to look for Auto Fuel within 1 mile of the current route (i.e., along a corridor paralleling the programmed route along an interstate). Ten miles later I pulled into an Exxon within sight of the interstate. Splendid function, but I can't seem to find anything like it on the Nav system. Put another way: once a route is set and being followed, to find a POI anywhere along it.

I used this all the time. If I my destination was a particular city or landmark, once the day started getting late, I could have the GPS look for a motel that was further up the route I was taking, and it would even give me a choice of them by distance (so I could choose a motel that also gave me another 30 miles of travel, if I so choose).

2. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I didn't find that function, but if my fuel gauge was flashing, I would use the voice-command "nearest petrol".
    It's not as beautifull as the Garmin solution though. (I have a Garmin Ique 3600)

3. fphinney

fphinney Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Aug 10 2006, 10:04 PM) [snapback]301285[/snapback]</div>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My wife & I have only had our new Prius for 2 months, now. I'll try to answer -

Here is a "for instance." If we were heading east towards Sacramento, we could tell our NAV to show "gas station." My favorite map scale is 700 feet. At this point, you might want to change the scale to 1/2 mile (this is the maximum scale for icons to display). If no gas stations were shown on the current screen, one could touch a place on the highway in the direction that you're heading, etc. This would give you a preview(s) of the upcoming scenario. It's fairly easy to cover quite an area this way.

To get your map display back to 'normal,' touch the "Map" button on the steering wheel.