1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NAV system for $130 IF...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DaveinOlyWA, Sep 20, 2004.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    was just watching the news and i guess microsoft is getting into the navigation game. they are taking their "streets and trips" software and tying it to a GPS for $130.

install in on a laptop and you have a semi real time nav system for the car. it was featured on KING 5 in seattle. it was kinda hilarious as the reporter decided to go from one park to another location in seattle and first the software told him to turn at a street that didnt exist (at least we know it works as well as the rest of microsofts products). also because the driver spent too much time concentrating on the laptop (no voice here to tell you when to turn, definitely would be awkward for the solo driver) he missed a turn.

but all in all, he did have success with it. and lets face it, at 130$ (of course you need to buy a laptop AND the streets and trips software ~$50) it is a LOT cheaper than the built in nav system.

now this i might be interested in. the price would be worth getting it for kicks just to see if it works.

2. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yup. I've spent the past two months researching a Nav system for the Prius in lieu of the Toyota version. For the money I think I've found the ideal... the Garmin 2620 $1500 CAD. I knew what the product was capable of and also many others ( it has some limitations). Some do not agree 'cause it is suggested that it does not have a PC download capability. I have found that is not necessarily correct by up-grading the 2620 software via a PC from ver 3.80 to 3.90. I have obtained 19 ft accuracy sitting in my house using the AC adapter. Yesterday we established a HOME position, drove to an address 30 miles away in a relatively obscure area with complete accuracy and then reversed the trip ( which many inexpensive units cannot) and arrived in our driveway with the arrow pointing in the correct direction at the correct altitude. If some of you have had any experience with the Garmin 530 aircraft GPS system which used to cost about $18,000 CAD you would have to agree the 2620 is adequate for safely getting a Prius ( or any other vehicle cause it's portable) from point A to B and beyond. Just my $0.02's worth. :D