1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav system override with images

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by xxxlmpg, May 12, 2006.

1. xxxlmpg

xxxlmpg New Member

I know it has been disscussed before, but here it is with images

Nav system overrride

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, that's the override for pre-2006 models. So far, nobody has been able to find a similar sequence for the 2006 models.

It's odd that they claim that to be a photo of a 2006 car. It does, however, have the older-style graphics. So perhaps the situation is that the override works with the older software and graphics but not with the newer displays.

Perhaps the override works with very early 2006 models and not with the majority, which have the newer graphics.

3. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ May 12 2006, 10:01 AM) [snapback]254157[/snapback]</div>
    :angry: I can't wait till 'they' figure out/stumble across the Nav override for the 2006's. B)

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ May 12 2006, 12:49 PM) [snapback]254192[/snapback]</div>
    If you really "can't wait" the mechanical override takes just a few minutes and minimal 'hacking' into your car.

5. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 12 2006, 10:54 AM) [snapback]254195[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not that handy or comfortable with hacking into my car (if it means taking anything in the car apart), how difficult is the mechanical override and what do I need in order to do it? Is it the little device (sorry I can't remember the name of the device) that gets hooked into the wiring behind the dash??

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ May 12 2006, 01:01 PM) [snapback]254202[/snapback]</div>
    It requires pulling the vent cover on the passenger side of the MFD off, cutting 1 or 2 purple wires (depending upon whether you want both NAV and BT overrides or just the NAV), soldering some wires to a simple switch, using some taps to attach the switch wires to the cut wires and then installing the switch how/where you'd like.

Getting a little creative and you can take the dash a bit further apart and run the wires down to where the SKS and tire monitor switchs are and put your new switch/switches there. Or you can drill holes in the vent cover or the cover in the center of the hump or whereever you please to install them.

This really isn't hard at all and it's what I did for 2 years until some discovered the soft key override.

Here is the Thread
    from the old forum that has all the information. Unfortunately the photos (which really are necessary) didn't carry over. I may have some of the photos on my computer somewhere. If you (or anyone) is feeling up to this I'm happy to share what I have. Also, you might see if you can contact Brosnan (see thread) as he has plenty of photos of all this.

I also have a friend on this forum that's considering building a circuit that would allow you to tap into any button in the Prius and when pressed and held for 3 seconds it would take over whatever second function you want. So, you could put your speed sensor switch on those wires and use the km/h/mph button as your hidden override button. But, I have no idea when,or if this will come for sale or how much it would be.

Carpe Diem...if you want it, do it Worst case scenario is you have to solder the wires back together if you can't get it to work.

BTW, take a look at my original article on this. I don't recommend this method any more, but the general concepts of how the override works still hold true.

7. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ May 12 2006, 01:01 PM) [snapback]254157[/snapback]</div>
    My car is a 2006 11/2005 build date. It come in with the first 2006 shipment to my dealer. It has the new display and graphics and the override does not work. I expect the site is either just wrong or correct only for the Lexus.

- Tom

8. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    PLEASE KEEP LOOKING
    This sequence doesn't work for my 06 Package 8

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 12 2006, 11:52 AM) [snapback]254242[/snapback]</div>
    Is this the same thing that's mentioned at the end of the Backup Camera Activation thread, just getting to the wires from the top speaker grill, rather than through the vent cover? It sounds the same.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ May 13 2006, 09:45 AM) [snapback]254711[/snapback]</div>
    Same technique, different approach. AND, as far as I can tell, the speaker hole technique only gets the speed sensor wire for the BT/MFD. It shouldn't affect the NAV functioning "as far as I can tell".

Frankly, I like the 3 way switch idea...or even a 4-way switch if you're going to do the always on back-up camera option. Center position "off" (ie. normal), left position BT speed sensor disable, right position NAV speed sensor disable. It could be mounted directly on the vent cover, would look nice, be easy to reach (esp. for the passenger), and you wouldn't have to run any wires more than a few inches and need only remove the vent cover to do it.

11. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I discovered something interesting today; a coworker just bought a new 2006 4Runner with navigation. I told him about the override on my car, but how it had been removed from the 2006 models. However, just to check, I tried the sequence on his car and it worked. Needless to say he's thrilled with this new bit of information, but it left me wondering if the Prius is the only Toyota that had the override removed.

12. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Could be that the 4runner shares something with the Lexus. Or perhaps he has a different version of the Nav DVD.

13. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Toyota has been reading posts on these forums and has decided that it does not want its customers toying with their settings.

14. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've read numerous times now that the 2004-2005 override sequence "will not work" with the 2006. Since I'm very used to performing the sequence and now also have the Coastal Nav/Bluetooth override on the 2005 and that I have a 2006 on order, this is of concern to me.

I'm wondering if someone who already has a 2006 and has experience using the sequence on a 2004-2005 could describe just what is different that the sequence does not work. Is it that the upper and lower left screen taps on the Volume screen simply do not produce the hidden menu where the Override button is located?

15. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

Yes, that's exactly right... The 4 taps in the Volume screen that normally bring up a menu on an 05 do absolutely nothing on the 06.

It sucks. :-( It's the only thing I really miss about my 05...

16. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Miss_Taz @ May 24 2006, 12:07 PM) [snapback]260361[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. So, that secret menu has to be somewhere, it's just a matter of who finds it first.

17. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse @ May 24 2006, 09:12 AM) [snapback]260362[/snapback]</div>
    You could always cut the wire mentioned above on this thread and install a switch. I'm planning to do that this weekend, but just the BT.

18. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse @ May 24 2006, 09:12 AM) [snapback]260362[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but there are dozens of sensors the computer could use to allow the override. Remember, it's for servicing only. Perhaps they only allow override if the scan-gauge is plugged in, which the mechanic has. How would we know?

Since the override is part of the MFD system, though, let's assume the "key" is within the MFD. Assume that the MFD must be in a precise mode before the pre-2006 override sequence will work. But there are still lots of possibilities.

- Perhaps they require MFD brightness/contrast settings first set to a "magic" place. My guess would be either middle or full up. But restoring the brightness to the original customer settings is a pain.

- Maybe they now turn on parking lights and set MFD Day Mode. That's quick and easy to restore when they're done.

- Maybe it's a different number of "hidden" corner presses; maybe it's different corner. Just the number of possibilities of corner-presses gets daunting.

- How many combinations of "hold finger in this corner and press hard button" are there? Yow.

And, if the override is only for engineering and not for the mechanics, then they could use all kinds of other gadgets to allow it: special jumper wires, odd combinations of car sensors, whatever.

19. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ May 24 2006, 01:21 PM) [snapback]260409[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, I agree. The permutations of a possible key sequence are just way too vast making it extremely unlikely that someone is just going to stumble across it.

As I recall, the 2004-2005 nav override sequence was "discovered" in technical service documentation on a Lexus and was "leaked" in a post to a Lexus user website, and it was tried on a Pruis and worked as well.

The fact is, since it is a service menu with a variety of service functions on it, someone in the Toyota service community has got to have access to the "keys" for the 2006 Service menu.

20. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

I agree. Don't we have ANY Toyota service techs on this board who would be able to look this up for us? Surely someone here has access to this information...

Sigh.