1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav System Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kdmorse, Jul 31, 2006.

1. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I live in Maryland, and will be making a trek or two down to North Carolina soon, which is in another DVD Region. I sat down today and programmed the destination (had to switch regions first of course), and then as a test, told it to start guidance.

While the miniature path shown looked correct - I was warned that because street information was not present, turn guidance would not be available. This happened regardless of whether I selected my current region (US9), or my destination's region (US10). It implied that it wouldn't be able to tell me where to go (but it wasn't clear about it). Or was it just telling me that it could not, at this time, produce a complete list of turns because some were out of region?

Is there a proper way to plan a trip across regions? Should I start my trip set for US9, and then flip it to US10 as I cross the NC border?

Anyone frequently do cross region trips and have any advice?

Thanks,

-Ken

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    that just means that at some point along the path (i'd guess near your destination), it doesn't have all the street data. I encountered a similar situation a few months ago. I was in cleveland at the time, helping a buddy of mine shop for a used boat... we put in the destination (about an hour outside of the city), and it came up with that message. the map was dead on, but the last 3-4 streets it didn't have any turn-by-turn information for.

I also recently took a trip (moved) from cleveland to minnesota, wich crossed regions, and the Nav system had no trouble what-so-ever with it or with providing me turn by turn directions the entire route. oh, and i had my set on the destination region the entire time, since i wasn't planning on leaving it anytime soon :-p

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jul 31 2006, 09:00 AM) [snapback]295015[/snapback]</div>
    This is correct. The nav system will show the correct route, but will not be able to say "<bing, bing, left turn". This happens any time you get into streets without turn-by-turn data, and has nothing to do with switching regions.

On a related issue, in backwater areas (like where I live ;) ), make sure you zoom in to a level where you can see the streets. Otherwise it looks like the map is blank.

Tom

4. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ahh.. So the message was generated not because my trip crossed regions - but instead because my trip ends near the end of a piddly little street, that turns into a beach road, at the far end of the Outer Banks of NC?

I can accept that - Thanks!

-Ken

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kdmorse @ Jul 31 2006, 08:30 PM) [snapback]295416[/snapback]</div>
    That's it exactly. The map should show the piddly little street and possibly the beach road, but the Nav Lady won't tell you when to turn.

Tom

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I believe the region thing is mainly for the search feature. For example, I live in California, so my region is set for California's region. I had installed Coastal's NAV enhancement kit (I have a 2005), which changed the region to Florida (without my knowledge). As a result, the NAV system couldn't find the street I wanted to go. It showed it correctly when I was on it, but I just couldn't enter a address on that street. Later, when I discovered what happened (and reset it to California), I could.