1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NAV System route selection

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by qbee42, Jan 1, 2007.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is a question about the built-in NAV system and how it selects routes. After Christmas, we dropped off our daughter in Ann Arbor and drove over to Rochester in the Detroit area to visit our son and daughter-in-law. There is no straight path between Ann Arbor and the northern suburbs of Detroit; the drive is a diagonal slant across the grain of all of the highways and major roads in the area. Even having done it numerous times, we always use NAV guidance on that drive because of all the required lane and highway changes. This time we did it during rush hour on a work day, and this brings me to core of this post: NAV guidance selected a different route this time. I let it default to Quick1 just as I have ever other time I've made this drive, but the system picked different roads, spending less time on the busiest highways and instead sending us down major surface streets. Part of the trip was routed highway, so it wasn't that we accidentally unselected highways. What I am wondering is if the NAV system has some time-based algorithms for avoiding traffic in major metropolitan areas. Was the difference this time the fact that it was a work day and rush hour? Anyone have any information about this?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've never seen the NAV make time- or day-based choices.

Did you begin guidance at the same place you always did before? The NAV can choose a different route depending on where you actually start guidance.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Jan 2 2007, 04:36 PM) [snapback]369714[/snapback]</div>
    I believe I did, but subtle changes can affect the route selection. Maybe it was a phase of the moon.

Tom

4. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jan 1 2007, 07:52 AM) [snapback]369235[/snapback]</div>
    It would be pretty cool if the Nav system did this. I doubt it, though.
    I also doubt the assertions of some others on PC that you can force the Nav system to remember a different routing by driving it a few times. That would also be cool...

5. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jan 2 2007, 02:32 PM) [snapback]369742[/snapback]</div>
    I doubt it has anything to do with time of day. Since it recalculates after a missed turn, any minor detour can significantly affect the overall route traveled. It generates a new trip starting point each time it recalulates. I've seen it recalculate, using more surface streets, when I've made an intermediate stop and returning to a major road would produce a longer trip.

6. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jan 1 2007, 10:52 AM) [snapback]369235[/snapback]</div>
    I have never seen my NAV suggest a different route based on the time or day, AFAIK anyway.

However, last week I was experimenting with "Areas to Avoid" and had some real bizarre results; such on a 575km drive from Toronto to Montreal, I had programmed a single point to avoid on Hwy401 in Toronto (same highway I was travelling on to get to Montreal). About 2 hours into my trip, I added an immediate POI then deleted it, and after that "Quick1" routing was giving illogical directions. Even though I only had a single destination (in Montreal, about 300km) remaining, the NAV insisted I turn around and backtrack 200km (!) and do a U-turn onto Hwy35 to bypass the road highway I was currently on (?). Effectively turning my 300km remaining into 750km ( :eek: ). Changing to "Quick2" gave me a normal route, going back to "Quick1" did the same again. Repeatedly.

I can't really explain why it behaved like that. I left it on Quick2 for the rest of the trip and it was fine, as well as on the way back, though I disabled the Avoid Areas before getting on the road again. Seemed like even though my Area to Avoid was only a POINT, it wanted me to avoid the entire highway. Even so, there were MANY other routing options more efficient than backtracking 200km!

Strange...