1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav system thinks it's in another part of US

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dsgii, May 29, 2010.

1. dsgii

dsgii New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Our 2005 Prius nav system has decided we're nowhere or on a different coast when we try to get directions. The GPS shows the correct current location, but when we input a street address it can't find any nearby cities, and the last time it found a city it was Philadelphia (we're in San Francisco).

Any clue what might be going on? We had to jump start it recently after accidentally leaving the back hatch slightly ajar for several days. The 50k-mile servicing was a week ago, meanwhile.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You need to set your current region. It's in the Nav setup section.

Tom

3. dsgii

dsgii New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks -- I didn't see that setting when I looked around the Setup screens.

Dan

4. Wolfie52

Wolfie52 Senior "Jr" Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You also have to think about that (changing regions) when you travel. On my recent road trip I passed through 3 different regions. It isn't a problem until you want to input a destination and wonder why you can't find your city!

5. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ? If there's any system in the car that should be able to figure out where on earth it is, it should be the gps. Why should this be necessary? I can see it taking a bit to catch up when crossing from one region to another if it has to read a new bit of data into memory or something, but getting lost is silly for a gps system.

6. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well at least I wasn't the only one that had this problem recently! The button to change the region took me awhile to find. I don't recall ever having a GPS that you had to change region, though. In fact, I need to go look and see if I need to change it back or not!

I'm waiting for the day that you can get a Google based GPS, including street views. I'm probably wishing to way too much, as I can only imagine how much data they've compiled with all that stuff!

7. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The one I use is in my Nokia N95 and it can overlay sattelite photos easily enough, but no street views yet...

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It knows where it is, but it doesn't know where you are going. It isn't a mind reader.

Setting the region controls the search area for destinations. It wouldn't be correct to automatically assume that a destination is in your current region.

Tom