1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NAV System "Unable to read data"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Ryohki, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Ryohki

Ryohki New Member

Ok.. so i have been working on this for a few days.
    My NAV System in my 2002 Toyota Prius has started the "Unable to read data. Please check the DVD. (or something like that)" Error.
    I have taken it to the dealership and they said the NAV unit needs to be replaces and will cost about $3000. The DVD its self is ok. No scratches and reads in the computer fine.

So since it is out of warranty and not working I started to see what I can do about it.

Here is what I got.

First here is what the $3000 box looks like

[​IMG]

Again.. not much to it.

I have already tried to clean the drive and also able to get to the lens and make sure it is ok.
    I can also watch the drive spin but the lens just goes back and forth trying to look for the DVD's TOC which is where it fails. So I assume all that needs to be replaced is the dvd-rom so...

Here is how the DVD-Rom is connected,

[​IMG]

and here,

[​IMG]

Pretty Simple.. so now I'm trying to find if you can buy this DVD-ROM type or not.. only numbers I could find on the drive was 11906H-M which isn't turning up much. Maybe someone here might know. :huh:

Anyways I will keep looking and keep you posted.

Thanks! :D

Ryohki

2. surge

surge New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ryohki @ Oct 27 2007, 04:51 PM) [snapback]531295[/snapback]</div>
    Looks like you have a Gen 3 unit. I have the same one.

Does your PC read the DVD? If so.try making a copy of your NAV DVD. You can use cheaper DVD-R discs by removing the files that aren't in your region. ie: POIDTX10.IDX is the file for region 10..remove the others. (see my post #112 in the following thread http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=12312&st=100)

I was able to get partially working discs (maps but no POI or address information). This won't give you fully working DVDs, but it will tell you if the drive is at least reading the DVDs. If it does, you can trying burning to a DVD+R DL.

3. Ryohki

Ryohki New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(surge @ Oct 28 2007, 11:10 AM) [snapback]531574[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I tried both ways, with a Single and a Dual Layer DVD. I can create the ISO from the original with no problem.
    I will get the same "Unable to read data." Error.

I am going to get a Loading Unit DVD-ROM and take it apart and see if I can replace it with this one.

Thank for the suggestion though.. least I have some back-ups of my NAV DVD now :)