1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav System - Voice Recog - should I bother?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by morganaka, Jun 19, 2012.

1. morganaka

morganaka New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Newbi here - new 2012 Prius 3 Sea Glass.
    Like the car and the mpg's. Nav & Voice frustrating. I had OnStar in my Chevy and loved it. I am seriously considering adding the OnStar FMV to the Prius even if it does cost $300 yearly so I can stop stressing on this useless Toyota Nav system. Anyone else converted to OnStar?

2. patsyk61

patsyk61 My Youngest granddaughter, Lauren

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have the IV in Sea Glass Pearl & the only problem I have had with the Nav system is when I do the hands free phone & I call Haley, it doesn't understand. It says 8 or Amy. I think maybe the air conditioning fan might interfere with the voice recognition but then again being from Kentucky I have a "twang".

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can fix that with a Voice Tag. Toyota gives you 20 tags to store if there are names that the system is having trouble recognising.

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a few words that the Nav voice system has trouble recognizing but for the most part it recognizes what I say or I have learned how to say it so it does recognize it. I find it quite useful.

It has a lot of room for improvement but it is quite functional.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My OnStar experience is limited to registering Mom's Malibu. We sat "forever" with the salesman on the lot on hold. After abandoning that attempt I tried again & spent the 5 mile or so trip home on hold. It took another trip & a few more miles to get a connection. I know the SC connection isn't instantaneous but never took that long.

Toyota's nav isn't really any worse overall than Garmin's but if you'd rather have someone give directions then go for it. A good navigator talking in your ear is tough to beat.