1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NAV System Weirdness

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jim Calvert, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My vehicle is a 2010 Prius with the factory installed navigation system.

During several short trips lately I have been testing the system to see how well it works when I use the "Go Home" verbal command.

The latest test was really weird. While driving in the direction that the voice said to go, I decided to get off track and see what would happen. I was eastbound on an interstate highway, but deliberately exited at the next off ramp. As expected, the nav system caught the fact that I was going in the wrong direction, and directed me to the next on ramp of that interstate - but had me enter WEST BOUND. Then it apparently caught that error and had me get off at the next off ramp and re-enter EAST BOUND. When I did that (and this is amazing), I was directed to exit at the next off ramp and get back on the interstate going WEST BOUND!

The nav system had me going around in circles, and no, I didn't make any driving mistakes - I just followed exactly what the nav system said.

So I re-issued the "Go Home" command and the nav system began directing me correctly once again.

Just think how confused I would have been if I had been on unfamiliar roads! :mad:

Why would this happen? I entered my home address correctly right after getting the car, and haven't touched that address since. My home address is in a suburb of Columbus, Ohio (a large city), and my street has existed for over 40 years. So there should be no missing map information. When I issue the "Go Home" command, the nav system works correctly MOST of the time, but not always. This is disturbing.

I am in contact with Toyota Corporate about this, but so far have not received any answers.

2. LoraJ

LoraJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That's definitely weird.
    I am not sure Toyota Corporate will be able to help with that. I would contact the company that does the maps. Someone here will be able to give you the info. They are always looking for corrections.

Both my Prius NAV and Garmin always want me to travel out of NJ and into NYC for an $8 toll to get home from work, even when I specify no tolls or highways. But when I drve by the bridge it quickly recalculates the right way.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It could be local weirdness with the map database, or it could have been a GPS issue. If the GPS does not have a good fix, it can easily get confused with turns. Usually you see this at start up, such as jumping in the car and pulling out of a parking lot. By the time the GPS catches up, you may be going in the wrong direction.

Tom

4. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Furthur information:

I finally got in touch with the Toyota corporate technican that I had talked to previously several days ago. He promised me then that he would call me back within the hour to discuss what could be done. Well, he didn't call.

So today I called Toyota corporate again, at 1-800-331-4331. After a lengthy conversation I was finally connected to the same technician. He said that I would have to take my car to the dealer, and then the dealer would have to contact Toyota corporate so corporate could guide the dealer in correctly diagnosing the problem. At the same time, Toyota corporate would have to contact the NAV system vendor, Denso Corporation, and discuss the problem with them.

I then switched to a higher level Toyota representative. I told her that I was willing to work with Toyota and Denso to get the poor performing and inaccurate 2010 Prius Navigation system corrected.

I said that unless the Navigation system could be made to work correctly, then I want a full $1800 refund. She said that a refund request would have to go through legal arbitration.

So much for warranties.

5. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think you may have had an issue which was mentioned in a earlier post with either the GPS or a catch up condition. I had it happen once where it didn't recalc the route but the night was very overcast and heavy cloud ceiling, which is not the norm. It did catch up and I am assuming due to signal.

I would think if you wanted a full refund that your expecting to much. I am not trying to be argumentive, but the system operates quite well for the most part. Sure it has some flaws but there were flaws in my Honda 2007 Civic Hybrid that I never realized since now with the Toyota Prius, I actually have a better unit in comparison to screen, maps and functionality.

Not to mention, should you think you want a total refund, I would think that Toyota should also remove the unit. I just think your request is a bit out there. I know, it's just my opinion.

Look at the overall benefits and what you would not get!

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think this is unrealistic given it's been stated and confirmed many times here that how well the NAV system works depends largely on your area (which is beyond Toyota's control).

7. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Of course everyone is entitled to their opinions, but we are not talking about a system that works fairly well, we are talking about a flawed system. Toyota hired Denso to design the mapping software, rather than do it themselves, and Denso dropped the ball.

The bottom line is: when one spends $1800 for a navigation system, one expects it to work, and to work well.

If it doesn't work, or if it is significantly inaccurate, then Toyota should either fix it, replace it, or provide a full refund - WITHOUT forcing the customer to go into litigation.

Here are some of the things that have recently happened with my Prius Navigation system.

1. On one occasion the navigation system lost track of my destination 15 minutes or so after I issued the "Go Home" command, and began issuing a series of directions that literally had me going around in circles. This occured when I was miles from home. I re-issued the "Go Home" and the navigation system corrected itself.

2. On another occasion it told me I had arrived at my home when I was actually 10 blocks away and on the wrong street.

3. And on yet another occasion I selected the shortest distance to my destination, which was displayed on the screen along with the other 2 optional routes. As I began following the navigation system voice instructions, it quickly became obvious that the navigation system was not taking me on ANY of those routes. No, there were no road construction or detours that might have disrupted the route. I got to my destination eventually, but it certainly was in a roundabout way.

My 4-year old Garmin portable GPS system has worked flawlessly since day one, and has been used in many areas of Ohio (where I live), Indiana, and Kentucky. Yes, it has occasionally mistaken a decommisioned highway for an in-use road, but has always quickly rerouted me. There was never any of the going-around-in-circles confusion or any of the other weirdness I have experienced with the 2010 Toyota Prius Navigation System.

So am I being unrealistic in expecting a full refund if Toyota cannot fix my flawed 2010 Prius Navigation System?

Perhaps, but I am going to keep following this up. It's the principle of the thing.

8. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mine has made a few minor errors, but nothing even remotely like the problems you're describing. I don't think this is a flaw in design, but your particular unit might well have some sort of malfunction.

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's like saying when one spends $799 (original/unsubsidized price) for an iPhone, one expects it to work, and to work well. No, not necessarily in all cases if you live in an area with crappy at&t reception. The NAV is no different. You still haven't ruled out a possible malfunction with the NAV unit itself though.

Just as realistic as wanting a big gaping hole in your dash if you actually expect a full refund and they are to remove the unit. You know it does other things like back-up camera, right?

10. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Jim,

The more you have explained seems to me with the issues your having are more "unit" related or software related. I have never come across anything close and I am not in a major metropolis, so it's now making me think you should follow up with Toyota Rep to see if either there is a problem specific to your unit, or possible CD issue with your Nav Disk, or something else. The problems you have presented warrant a replacement possibly. I always get the 3 choices of routes when entering a destination and the one I select is the one it follows and never off by such a given amount.

I would be pushing your Rep or Service Dept to have it replaced at minimum.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It does sound like a bad unit. While there have been many complaints about the value of the Nav system, there have been no similar complaints about routing in circles and the like. I suspect the OP will find that his system has a faulty connection to the GPS antenna or something of that nature.

Tom

12. dwhutch

dwhutch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If scenarios that were listed by the OP are random and are not repeatable I would agree that the unit or the GPS antenna is suspect and I am sure Toyota would remedy by repair or replacement.

13. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Please read my posts again. I did say that my Garmin works great in the areas where I have been, but the Prius Nav system does not. Perhaps it is because the Prius Nav system might have a defective antenna, or perhaps the Prius maps are flawed while the Garmin maps are not. Who knows? Whatever the reason, when one GPS works well (like my Garmin) while another does not (like my Prius Nav system) you cannot blame the situation on "crappy reception". They both are receiving (or trying to receive) the same signal.

Of course I know full well that removing the Nav system would leave a gaping hole, and I also know that the Prius Nav system is a multiple function device. So what is your point? Would you not want something done if your Prius had a broken or malfunctioning part? Would you say to Toyota: "That's OK folks, almost everything works. Don't worry about it.". Well, my Prius has a defective part, and Toyota should repair it, replace it, or refund my money.

Hopefully you won't have any problems with your Prius navigation system. However, many other members of this forum (not just me) have complained about the Prius Nav system and how poorly it works as a GPS.

14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As I said, you don't know this for sure (that the unit is actually defective, although I suspect it is based on what you wrote) or it's your area for which the unit has inaccurate data and you need to find out.

And it's highly area-dependent. It works perfect in my area, but I know when we go up to north to visit our cousins, it doesn't work all that great as a GPS.

15. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well then, why does my Garmin work flawlessly in the same geographical area where my Prius Nav system does not? :confused: