1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav system worth 5k?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Bob Allen, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi: My life partner's son and I test drove a Prius a few weeks ago and I'm on the list. The car we drove had all the nav com systems. I fly for a living, and thought the panel mounted GPS moving map was much like those in the planes I teach in. The difference is that an airplane is totally 3-D and your opportunites for getting lost are infinitely greater. Needless to say, the "son unit" who is 15, was urging me to order the Prius with the nav system. I balked at the additional 5k and told him that we could use a portable GPS like the ones we use in the airplane, which would cost me about 800-1500 bucks, depending on color, citymap databases, etc.
    Do those of you "flying" the fully equpped Prius (honestly) believe the systems are worth the money? It's neat technology, I admit, but it sounds from the chat line, that there are bugs to be worked out. It would be tough for someone who just forked over an additional 5200 bucks to admit that, maybe, it wasn't quite what they expected. On the other hand, it might be a real deal since I have no idea what it would cost to install the voice activated gizmos and the cell phone interfaces.
    Thanks,
    Bob Allen
    p.s. The Prius is the airplane I cannot afford to buy.

2. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob, I have a classic, and considered having the Nav system installed in that. Due to the price, I elected to use my already purchased ($400) Garmin GPS V. I installed it on the steering column, where I can look directly at it whenever I need to. I can always load the detail that I need for the area that I'm going to. Basically, I can now take the other $4600 and use it elsewhere, while still having a perfectly functioning "nav" system - just with a little smaller screen, and no colour.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What!?!

You are grossly overstating the price. Quite a bit more than just the NAV system comes in that $5K package. See:

• - Rear Wiper
      - Anti-Theft system
      - Homelink
      - Driver & Passenger & Side Airbags with Curtains
      - JBL AM/FM/Cassette/CD changer with 9-speakers
      - Smart-Entry & Smart-Start
      - Bluetooth capability
      - VSC (Vehicle Stability Control)
      - HID Headlamps
      - Foglamps

• And of course, there is a package with NAV that is only $3K too.

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just to help out:

BG Package #8 -- includes intermittent rear window wiper; Smart Entry & Start system; JBL Premium 3-in-1 AM/FM Cassette/6-disc in-dash CD changer, nine speakers in seven locations and FM diversity reception; and voice-activated DVD navigation system with hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth TM technology
    $3,150

BC Package #9 -- includes intermittent rear window wiper; driver and front passenger seat-mounted side and front and rear side curtain airbags ; anti-theft system and auto-dimming electrochromic rearview mirror with HomeLink® universal transceiver; Smart Entry & Start system; High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps, integrated fog lamps and Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) ; JBL Premium 3-in-1 AM/FM Cassette/6-disc in-dash CD changer, nine speakers in seven locations and FM diversity reception; and voice-activated DVD navigation system with hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth TM technology
    $5,245.00

Side airbags are worth around $600, I believe. The auto-dimming mirror is worth around $285. HID lamps on any normal car is a $700+ option.

It's still a matter of preference, but IMO a fully integrated system is much better for the long run than a seperated system. I don't even know what kind of after-market options there are out there for voice-recognition and hands-free Bluetooth capability. I think I would prefer an integrated solution just because everything's already there that you need - the screen, the voice-recognition capability, etc.

5. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wolfman: How did you mount it on your steering column? Did you use an aircraft type mounting bracket or purchase something off the self from Garmin? Also, how did you connect it to "ship's power"? Or did you? The rest of the option package sounds good, but it would add another year to the loan payment and I'm more or less maxed out as it is.
    Thanks for the info,
    Bob Allen

6. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks, I did read the option package list in my brochure but didn't know what those items were actually worth. Sounds like the package is fairly priced, but it does add another year to the loan. In the Seattle area, only packages 1, 7 and 9 are available. I don't know how or why Toyota made this determination.
    Bob

7. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Garmin has a dash mount pad that uses a removable residue free sticky mount that worked as advertised when I pulled it off of the dash of the Daewoo. Unfortunately, I got impatient and stuck the already used once tape and it's moved around a bit and made a slight mess (moral here is do not recycle the tape). I'll have to rectify this before the texas summer does it's thing. I bought a twin jack and plugged it directly into the power point on the dashboard, along with my Valentine One radar detector. I have another mount for the truck, and a third one set aside for when the diesel version of the Jeep Liberty is released. I can simply click the GPS into place in any of my vehicles, and have an instant NAV system.

If you want to be able to store more memory and have a bigger and colour screen, Garmin has the Street Pilot out, which is made for car use. It uses the same mounts, and holds more information, and also has swappable memory. The caveat is that it's twice the price.

When I get home, I'll take a picture of my setup, and post it here.

8. montolchik

montolchik New Member

I have package #9 mostly because I wanted the compact disc changer and the safety items (headlights, foglights, extra airbags, VSC ...). I feel that having all of the electronics on board integrated from Toyota may look like alot, but would be comparable to finding something aftermarket that would give me all of the same features. This system is at least rolled into my car loan where the interest is less than credit cards used later.

Being a software engineer who has been researching Geographical Information System technology for use with a GPS receiver for route guidance, the NAV system isn't going to be 100% accurate because the necessary data would not fit on the DVD that the Prius system uses. The system is going to have to take an educated guess, but will get you on the correct road close to your destination. I have driven a few newer roads in my area which the system does not know about, but I expect there will be update DVDs we will be able to get on an almost yearly basis.

Overall, I've found the NAV system to be helpful. I have also found the VSC to be just what I need to bridge the gap between my winter driving experience and a guardrail. The auto-dimming mirror is nice. Package #9 has alot of conveinences and the NAV system is just one part.

Mike

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the point of the $5000 is that no way, if you do not care about or want any of the other features included in the package then it is not worth $5000 just for the GPS. That said, the safety features alone, to me, are worth nearly the $5000, the bluetooth phone connection and SE/S features easily make up the rest, to me. The NAV, alone isn't that important to me, but as part of the rest of the package it was definately worth it.

10. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    As I ran towards my Prius in pouring rain this morning with my arms full of packages I was very happy with the Smart Entry system. I just grabbed the rear hatch and it opened. Then I ran around to the driver's door and hopped in. With my package #8 I am delighted to have the NAV since I drive a lot of back roads, still looking for the right bluetooth phone and really appreciate the Smart Entry. I would gladly pay the $3K again for the package if I had to replace the car.

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    > I would gladly pay the $3K again for the package...

After having had to listened to horsepower & speed obsessed enthusiasts for years, it brings joy to my heart that other specialty components are now catching on.

Though, since SE/SS is completely technology based, there is a possibility that costs will drop to the level that it becomes a standard rather than an option... especially since this particular one is so darn handy.

12. tag

tag Senior Member

Query: Have you seen the photos (posted by Wayne on the YG) of the hybrid Highlander and RX400H models? I could swear there were ignition keys in both of them.

I find it strange that Toyota wouldn't utilize this technology on those models.

13. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My dashboard as promised

Here's the setup for my GPS in my classic.

14. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: My dashboard as promised

Wolfman: Nice setup. Thanks for the photo. It would make much more sense for me to buy a separate GPS as you did, which I could use in the airplanes I fly as well as in my car. The planes I teach in all have GPS, but a separate system is great if there is an alternator failure.
    I don't know where the power outlets are in a Prius as mine has not arrived yet, but I assume the cords aren't in the way. I looked into the window of a Prius this afternoon and I can see there is a little platform behind the steering wheel that would be an ideal mount for a GPS.
    Bob Allen
    p.s. Now all I need is some balloons to use for the side door airbags......

15. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Also keep in mind that added safety features means lowered insurance premiums.

I went from a '92 Paseo to a '01 MR2 Spyder and my premiums went down because of the added airbags, engine immobilizer, and ABS.

The side curtain airbags are a feature that definitely drops insurance premiums.

So that might be something to think about when you're thinking there's added prices. Try getting VINs from a package #9 and another package and run them through your insurance company's computer system to see if there is a difference.

16. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My chords are out of the way. They are still a cosmetic issue though, and I'll be installing the permanent wiring for the Valentine One. I'll be looking into adding an XM system to the car as well, and will look to clean up the chords a bit so that I don't turn into a huge wiring mess.

17. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    How much is it really? Here, I'll show you...

A while back (in early July) when the packages/pricing was first announced, I did a deductive spreadsheet which showed the price breakdown of each "component group" with the options.

Basically I came up with the following:

Rear Wiper: $180.00
    Smart Entry/Start: $450.00
    Homelink/Security System: $470.00
    JBL Premium Stereo: $620.00
    Side Airbags: $650.00
    VSC/HID Lights: $975.00
    Navigation/Bluetooth/Voice Command: $1,900.00

Attached is the undocumented spreadsheet on how I "got there".

18. talleyid

talleyid New Member

NAV Worth the Money?

I purchased package #9 because I wanted the CD Changer and safety features. The toys, such as the NAV, were not an insignificant part of the decision.

I've since changed my thinking about the NAV as a toy. I've had 4 occasions to use it since purchasing my car a month ago. Realizing that I don't need to try and look at maps while driving was a great feeling. I'll still have them in the car but I've been pleasantly surprised at how useful the NAV is. Finding addresses is now an adventure.