1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NAV System

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by dropkin, Oct 15, 2008.

1. dropkin

dropkin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So, while I wanted the DVD NAV, I didn't want to spend the extra $1500... Now, in my Pkg 3, I see there is still a MAP button on the steering wheel, which when pressed detects that there is no "external" system.

Can I install some sort of aftermarket Nav system that will show up on the MFD?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No. You could install the factory system, but adding it after the fact will make $1,500 seem like a bargain.

Tom

3. njprius2008

njprius2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi I have a 2008 that appears to have the navigation system - three buttons on the right side and 4 buttons on the left side of the screen. I just bought it and wonder if the "external system not installed" means that the navi disc is missing or the player is not functioning properly...could someone assist in where the navi disc player is located? or supposed to be located? Thanks

4. njprius2008

njprius2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    where would the navigation system be located (the navi disc player?) and does yours have three buttons on the right side and 4 buttons on the left side as my 2008 has and also has the same message? Thanks NJ Prius :)

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If the nav disk is missing or bad, you will get a disk error message. The nav system unit is located under the driver's seat. The JBL sound system unit is located under the front passenger's seat.

Tom

6. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    its actually 1175, does that make you feel better?

2010 will have a new system, what if you feel burned?

you can get a black box navigation system, it will show on the touch screen, but
    you will have to use its remote control to operate it

7. firepilot17

firepilot17 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    FYI - the nav system sucks. We bought a Garmin to actually navigate places. It's awesome.

8. Metsci

Metsci New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2015 Prius Four. Things have not gotten any better. The nav system is the worst I have ever used. Can't compete with even the most generic $89 system you can stick on your windshield or dashboard.

Your post was in 2008. Really make you wonder if anyone from Toyota reads these posts.

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In a nutshell, they don't.

FWIW, I think the quality and usefulness of the Nav depends on jurisdiction. I used the in-built nav all over UK, Eire and Europe and it never got me lost and always got me to our destination. Having said that, it was also useful to have google maps to cross-check addresses (for completeness) as the times I had trouble inputing addresses was when a key piece was left out by the local person supplying the address (as everyone around here knows that!).

The other issue is when you're use to using some equipment and then change to another brand that does things slightly (or largely) different. Case in point for me was when I got a Samsung phone (not my choice) after using Nokia handsets (many models) for years (pre-smartphone era). The Samsung drove me crazy, especially having the space key transposed when compared to a Nokia.

I still prefer to think of these sorts of things as different, rather than better or worse.

So, horses for courses.