1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav: Time to destination; main roads vs. freeways

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by auricchio, Apr 1, 2006.

1. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On page 51 of the 2006 nav manual, it says that "Travel time and arrival time is calculated based on the set vehicle speed information." This implies that they use the speeds set for residential, main streets, and freeways from the setup screen.

The only reason for using those preset speeds should be for estimates before the car begins moving. After that, the nav system should know your speed and be able to recompute time enroute based on your average speed.

So the questions:

1. Mine seems to be terribly pessimistic. I'm driving at 70mph with 140 miles to go, and it doesn't estimate anything near two hours. It was probably 20-40 minutes "slow." Is it using average speed or is it really using those silly preset speeds? (And you can't adjust them while you're in motion!) *

2. Does anyone know what "main streets" means? Are they using the standard definition of a freeway (formal exits and entrances, and no other intersections)? Thus a "highway" is a main street?

(*) I set 45mph for "main roads" and 70mph for freeways. But much of US101 in California is not true freeway. This leads me to suspect they used 45mph since it wasn't a freeway, which would explain a long enroute estimate.

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It would have no idea that you will actually maintain 70, so it sticks with the entered speed to estimate.

I think the thicker lowland roads are 'main', and they are usually blue as opposed to black on the map...

3. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yes, you can adjust your average speed. I believe you have to be stopped.

Go into MENU - SETUP - You will see ADJUST SPEED

Once you click there you will see 3 speedometers - one for Residential, one for Main Street, and one for Freeway.

The residential is set at 25 (and will not go any higher)
    The Main Street is set at 35 (and will go to 55)
    The Freeway is set at 55 (and will go to 75).

I do not know if these reset after you turn off the vehicle...I will have to test that.

I assume Main Street is determined by the physical size of the street on the map (the residential ones are really small and thin, versus the main ones which are larger). However, depending on where you live I do not know how it would determine the difference (it has to be built into the maps).

It is not perfect, but I find that it is usually pretty close to correct on the time if there is no traffic. Of course, any deviation in your speed would cause it to readjust based on the amount of your route still left.

So in your case, it is probably using the 55MPH average when calculating your 140 miles. If you reset it to 70MPH it will probably be pretty close.

Goodluck!

4. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, I know how to set the speeds. I'm going to have to set 55mph for the "main roads" since we have many highway-speed roads that are not freeways.

I'll also check road colors on the map to try to figure out what roads are what. Another thing that the manual doesn't bother to explain!

I realize the nav can never predict the road ahead. But since the set speeds can't be changed while in motion, it becomes even more dumb than it has to be.

5. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Apr 1 2006, 04:42 PM) [snapback]233550[/snapback]</div>
    Well, one of these days someone will figure out the "magic" override for the 2006 NAV. Then we will be much happier! Until then...

6. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Apr 1 2006, 04:44 PM) [snapback]233552[/snapback]</div>
    Yup!

Meanwhile, I now figured out the story with the roads for the 2006 nav.

- Freeways are red,

- Main roads are blue,

- You soon get the knack:

- Residential Streets are black.

US101 from San Jose to San Luis Obispo is about 200 miles, but more than 50 of those miles are not official freeway. So the "main road" speed is used in the calculation.

I just set my main-road speed to 55 (the max). Unfortunately, in my rural area we all do 60 on the "main road" highways. I can't set it that high...too bad.

7. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Does the Nav defeat (coastal or button push) then let you change the settings while moving?

8. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

Even if it was possible to use the current speed to calculate the trip time, I'm not sure that would be best. As others have noted, the estimates are pretty good when there is no traffic. When there is traffic, the traffic causes your speed to fluctuate a lot. Usually traffic is sporadic, not constant, so estimating your speed based on the current traffic conditions will give a wrong result. Only a human being can estimate how long the traffic will last based on knowledge of the local conditions.

9. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil @ Apr 4 2006, 11:50 AM) [snapback]234811[/snapback]</div>
    My understanding is that the override doesn't work on the 2006 models, so I haven't bothered to try.

As for the time estimate, yes, I'm just doing that mentally. Because one cannot change the preprogrammed speed settings while moving, they're virtually useless. If I hit traffic, the preset speed was too high and there's no changing it (hardly time at most traffic lights to play with it.)

I still think an estimate based on average speed is better than using a totally silly preset speed. Average speed over, say, the past ten minutes would correctly predict for long runs of open road (like a 200mi trip down US101 between the Bay Area and L.A.). It would do fairly well for normal surface street traffic.

Sure, it can't predict ahead. As it is, we're certainly taking its predictions with a grain of salt. If it used an average-speed prediction, then the time estimates would be better. Not perfect, but better.

10. DaveOrgans

DaveOrgans New Member

It's interesting, the NAV system on my Murano was heuristic. There is a section of road near my house which was originally a very narrow, winding two lane rode. A short higher speed section of road was built years ago to bypass this segment. The first few times I let the NAV system plot my route, it would select the older road, because it was technically shorter, but after I deviated from the plotted course a few times by driving over the newer segment, the NAV system began to plot my route throuth the new section, i.e. it learned my preferences.

If they wanted to, Toyota could make their NAV system heuristic also. As you drive over plotted roads, it could build a cumulative average of your drive times, section by section. This would result in progressively more accurate time estimates, the more you drove, and, since they would be cumulative, eventually the times would take into consideration the average traffic patterns too.

11. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David H. Hawkins @ Jul 4 2006, 10:05 AM) [snapback]281034[/snapback]</div>
    That would be cool; they'd need to add some storage for the data, but it'd be neat.

And it would provide something more for the NSA to illegally access.